Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
The ballnuts and screws look exactly like the ones I have , Aaron must of been using Rockford for his supply.

I had a small problem when adding preload they would get a rough feel to them if I added a lot of preload (more like a catch). What I found was the balls would catch the little tit on the end of the transfer tube when they circulated up into the tube. I have not corrected it yet but I expect a touch of a grinder on the end of the tube would fix it ( sander really it needs to be smooth or it would cause wear).

I have not done it yet because I felt like I would wait and see if I even needed the amount of preload that I ran into a problem with. Going by doc's and info from Rockford I will need the preloaded amount I was working with but until I see it running on the machine I don't feel I know for sure. It is possible my wavy springs are stronger than they think, or maybe even I got the wrong springs with the set when I bought them.

Anyway if you run into them feeling like they want to lock up this would be where to look for a problem. I guess we do not need any more preload than the machine needs to hold backlash out when under a load. Anymore than this would be wasted wear on the parts. But by Rockford's info I would be at what they consider light preload at the point I started feeling the problem. I will see when I get there.

Jess
Hey Jess...

I do think they are Rockford units.

I did have some issues with the nuts. It wasnt the lil burr that you have on the tube. Mine were fouled with dirt. Not talking about massive amounts but it doesn't take much when you have ball screws. It felt gritty when cycling the screw by hand out of the machine.

I disassembled the nuts and cleaned them and all was good. Now the hand motivated travel of the axises are smooth. Be careful when doing the process. Many small balls and they ALL need to be in there. Not as bad as some nuts that have two diff size bearings (the balls). Those need to be assembled correctly.

I do have a crunching feel and sound when manually rotating the screw. But that is due to the wipers on the nuts. The lil feelers which are like a plastic brush getting wound into the screw a lil bit (1/16th of a turn at most) and is noticeable. No problem there. No interference, they are just doing their job.

Just a complete breakdown and cleaning of the nuts was the diff from night and day. Very smooth. JR