587,086 active members*
2,989 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Yes, I got it set to read the same as my DRO's. I went into config, ports and pins, MPG, and set the units to 4.00. This made each mark of my mpg read as .0010". So equally one turn around is .1000". As far as the Ajax setup, so far I like it and it has a lot of future expansion options. Now that more and more people are getting them there is starting to be a lot of information out there in message boards. So if you run into some problems (and you will just because every machine is different) just do a search here or at the Ajax support forum. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    Do you have the T-shaped pendant with a plastic housing, a rectangular pendant with a metal housing; or no pendant at all?

With the T-shaped pendant, you can only use a Centroid MPG, because the pendant expects to communicate with an MPG that contains its own Centroid processor.

With the newer rectangular pendant, you need a sufficiently recent version that it has a header on the jog panel board inside for the newer "dumb" MPG's: those which just output selector switch contacts and handwheel pulses without trying to process them themselves.

If you have a rectangular pendant and are not sure what MPG it supports, remove the face plate (4 screws) and post a good photo of the board you find on the back side.

If you have no jog pendant at all, you will need to buy one of those first. The MPG handwheel pendant connects to the jog panel board; not directly to the CPU7.
    can i put a diy dumb mpg on this jog pendant ?

and if i can, what would be the pinout ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jog.jpg  

What does the rest of the PIC chip label (hidden behind the wires) say?

thanks for the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20120214-00096.jpg  

Wow, its hard to belive it been almost two years since I was involved in this thread. As I read back through, it almost sounds Greek to me. The mpg 2 is still working good and so is the dc310b. And mpu 11. I use them a lot and i have not had any problems. Every once and a while the mpg will run out .0005" instead of going to .0000" where I started. But i have learned not to sweat a half a thousandth. All is good and i hope this thread will help others as it did me. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rppman View Post
    Wow, its hard to belive it been almost two years since I was involved in this thread. As I read back through, it almost sounds Greek to me. The mpg 2 is still working good and so is the dc310b. And mpu 11. I use them a lot and i have not had any problems. Every once and a while the mpg will run out .0005" instead of going to .0000" where I started. But i have learned not to sweat a half a thousandth. All is good and i hope this thread will help others as it did me. Scott
    That is good to hear Scott.

Are you running Mach or CNC11? How do you like whichever one you are running?

What machine are you running this setup on?

I am just getting my hardware hooked up now. Have the servos running, and I need to decide on what software to run.

Thanks,
    Scott

I am using mach3 on a gmc 10 x 54 knee mill. I noticed on one of the adds about the wireless mpg . Looks pretty cool but i don't know if it would work with the ajax plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    thanks for the help

Bump

Yes, you should be able to connect a third-party MPG to that header.

There will be pins for +5VDC and 0VDC; axis select switch positions 1-5; increment select switch positions x1, x10 and x100; and encoder channels A and B. It is designed for a single-ended (TTL) pulse generator.

Unfortunately, none of the documents I have show the pin assignments for the MPG header. That information will have to come from Ajax or Centroid.

Please see attached document for MPG pin assignments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

(Disregard)

cncsnw , AjaxCNC

thanks for the help , i have the mpg wired up and working

thanks again

Kevin

Question Centroid puzzlement

greetings Marc or Keith

here are pics of two Centroid? boards and membrane. they snap together. any idea what control they are compatible with?

thanks
    jackson

ps-thanks Marc for the great help you provided Shamus on the Aciera F5.

https://picasaweb.google.com/pulsenpal/CENTROID

Picasa says "Sorry, that page was not found".

It sounds like you may be describing a jog panel assembly. What are the names on the circuit boards?

sorry Marc
    security setting altered

jh

https://picasaweb.google.com/pulsenpal/CENTROID

They are jog panel parts for mixed controls.

It would be a complete set for a 1996-2002 M400 or M39, except that the keypad (dome pad) board is populated for the earlier M10/M40 family jog panel.

Note, for example, you if you lay the overlays on the dome board, there is no key under the Z- jog button. Also, I think the M39/M400 dome boards had rounded corners, with no mounting holes.

See Field Guide to Centroid Controls, 1994-2010 - CNC Services Northwest for an explanation of the different control models.

thanks

thanks Marc for info. Yes, I noticed no blister domes under some labeled blister buttons. I actually lifted the sticky and moved a few of these to correspond with button functions. Not sure if this will result in anything good happening.
    anyhoo, I did notice CNC 7 on board. I have a Romi lathe with CNC 7 but this board assembly is for mill. So, back on the shelf.

jackson

There is no difference between a lathe jog panel and a mill jog panel, except the printing on the overlay.

On a lathe overlay the first axis buttons (left and right) are labeled "Z", and the second axis buttons (up and down in the center) are labeled "X". Different overlays are available depending on whether you want X+ pointing up (tools in the back) or down (tools in the front).

If you want a lathe-style overlay, I can supply one for $56.

mpu 11

Marc

I have an MPU 11 kit I plan on installing on a Deckel FP4A this summer. Will this pendant from cnc 7 work with the MPU 11?

jh

No.

MPU11 systems use different jog panel communication protocols, and therefore require different firmware on the jog panel processor board.

Page 3 of 3 123