In getting ready for the new version of mastercam we decided to look into new computers vs. upgrading. Here are the current system specs of our Dell Precision Workstations:

2.33Ghz Intel Xeon Dual core
Quadro NVS 285
2GB DDR2

If I were to upgrade just the GPU I still feel that the CPU/RAM would bottleneck these machines and the upgrade wouldn't really be worth it. In addition I really do not know enough about how mastercam utilizes each piece of hardware to say if the GPU is even the piece I want to upgrade. With the dual core, 2GB RAM, and NVS 285 will my old workstations be sluggish on X5? Am I correct in thinking the CPU will bottleneck any upgrades to RAM/GPU?

Hopefully you guys can help me out with these questions...I have more but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. Also, if anyone has suggestions for a good GPU please let me know. Right now i'm looking at using the Quadro 3700 or 3800, anything more almost seems like overkill. Price isn't an issue, but I obviously want to keep the price to performance level reasonable (I don't want to spend an extra $400 for 2% gains)