Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
Actually 110V, 3 phase, 400 Hz does exist, it's an aircraft power systems standard, but I'm not sure if it is still in use in newer aircraft. Also interestingly enough, according to the data tag, the Delta 7.5kW servo spindle motor on my lathe is a 110V, 3 phase, but the drive is 230V, 3 phase input.

But using 120V, 3 phase, with a 120V single phase input to try to run a router spindle seems a bit useless.
Hey Jim, long time no see! I'm not using my real name here, but let's just say I used to make bicycles in Portland and you were very helpful to me when I was getting my machine shop up after I got out of the Army. I moved on to Solidworks design and CAM programming in another state and eventually got a job making high pressure valve components on multi-axis machines at SpaceX here in Los Angeles, where I am now.

I bought an Avid router for my home shop, and - because everything is gas in Los Angeles - unfortunately I only have access to regular domestic power. As an apartment dweller in Hollywood, I'm lucky to have a shop at all, so any discussion about 220V single phase is just not worth having. I am trying to figure out how to make this work with only a single 20A circuit. Okay, with that out of the way...

Can we agree that 230V/3PH is just three legs of 110V, 120 degrees out of phase of each other? IN THAT CONTEXT, how is 110V/3PH different? We can talk amps all day, and square roots of three and whatever you want. So far, pretty much everybody here has given half of an explanation for some reason and/or in run on sentences that go nowhere. Also, the explanations seem to be wrapped up in a message about not using a particular product that has nothing to do with my question.