587,880 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting up a new shop

I am setting up a new shop. The shop has 100 Amp/3 Phase power. A Sharp 2420 w/ 20HP Spindle and a Eaton Rotary Screw Compressor (15HP) will be installed. The Shapr CNC has an Full Load Amperage(FLA) rating of 90Amps and the Eaton has an FLA of 36Amps. Do I have enough power... or should I shell out > $4+k for another 100 Amps? I only plan in being in this location for 12 months.
    Thanks for all the input.

Will you be using them both at the same time ?

I'm no expert in the field but I think it is unlikley that even if you are using them at the same time you will never come close to those amperage figures unless you are doing some real extreme machining.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

I run a 15 hp lathe and a sharp 7.5 hp mini mill
    and there runing off or a 30 hp rotery phase converter
    5 hp compressor, 28 floresent light fixtures,All running at the same time on a 100 amp breaker never a problem.
    Tim

Does the compressor operate by having the motor run all the time with an unloader turning off the air into the screw when it reaches pressure or does it turn the motor off when it reaches pressure?

If the motor operates all the time you will probably never have the compressor pull a starting load when the Sharp is pulling a lot of current so you may be okay.

If the compressor motor starts every time you have a bigger chance of problems; the compressor starting may give you a low voltage condition on the Sharp.

I would be tempted to risk it and put the $4k into tooling .
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof:
    That is what I am going to do. Put money into tooling. If there is a power issue, I will manually turn compressor off/on. Only in this location for a year and do not want to spend alot of money. Thanks for the input.
    TKBuisan

Good advise - I would be inclined to do the same. I would also be inclined to get a smaller compressor for the short term, selling it later if/when your location and power availability improves.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.