587,913 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool paths load outside work envelope

Ok I am having issues with my tool paths being outside of my 770 work envelope. I was loading a new part from 360 after post processing. This is when I received an error on my status tab warning me that the program exceeds x,y and z. I had referenced all 3 axis on start up and I had zeroed on my work piece prior to loading the G code. I verified that I had the proper coordinate set in 360 for the part and reloaded. I power cycled the controller and referenced all 3 axis again. I then loaded a part that I had previously ran and now they all insert above the work envelope as well. I even installed the PathPilot update to V1.9.5. I haven't had this happen before...I'm sure I'm over looking something here. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Tool paths load outside work envelope

I apologize in advance if these questions are not appropriate. What are the extents of the item that you are making including half of your cutter diameter for the x and y extents? Did you centre the stock within the allowed extents? What happens when you manually position to the desired maximum X/Y/Z?

Attachment 320916

I'm attaching a screen shot of what I'm seeing in Pathpilot. You can see that my "Working Box" is to the right and below the part in the preview screen. The part is roughly 3.125" x 3.125" well within the 770's work envelope. I have centered the stock within the extents. When I send the tool to 0,0,0 it goes straight to the corner of my working stock that is in my vise. My 770 was shut down for a few weeks just because I haven't had time to work with it much lately. I have had periods like this before but have been able to start up and go (after warming up the machine of course). Now every fill that I have ran in the past inserts in the same way with the same error of "program exceeds the maximum on x\y\z.

Which axis is being exceeded? What are the offsets in the relevant entries of your tool table?

All 3 are being exceeded. I have seen where I have exceeded either x or y axis in the past and was able to correct with out issue. However this time is the first time it has done it with all 3 at the same time and placed everything outside the work envelope. I'm not understanding your "tool table" question. The current tool is relevant to the spindle face with a length of 2.7440".

Just a thought regarding the tool table. I have had limit exceeded errors (Z-axis) in the past due to mistyping tool table entries. For example, entering 12.34 rather than 1.234 for a tool length.

agreed that that would cause an issue but I haven't changed my tooling lengths in a couple of months and nothing there seems out of wack. I just tried zeroing the spindle nose "Tool 0" just to see if that changed anything and it didn't. I really appreciate your time and assistance on this.

That's weird.

Grasping at straws here.... are you sure you're setting zero while in G54, and that the part is using G54?

I did a trial on F360 and I noticed it defaulted to metric units, if your program is not in the correct measurement units that match pathpilots that could make the machine exceed the limits.

I mention this because I have had it happen with sprutcam, but it was the reverse, the machine part was very small.
    might be worth checking as that could make it exceed all the axes limits

I have had a problem in sprutcam with the Z going all the way up and tripping the limit, this was a setting "overhang" that was over 10 inches and should have been an inch, sprut does this on occasion but it only makes the program trip the Z axis

I would try one of your older files and see if it will run correctly (air cutting)
    mike sr

I had this happen the other day, I was doing a solidworks to mastercam exercise, the part is only 2.5 x 4.625 inches and it said it exceeded the Y axis, I have since
    upgraded pathpilot and will try it again tomorrow.
    Will

Edit : sorry I didn't read his second post ! My answer does not apply.

I dont think my answer applies either, I am beginning to think its a software or update issue of some sort.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by wvines View Post
    That's weird.

Grasping at straws here.... are you sure you're setting zero while in G54, and that the part is using G54?
    So turns out I must have not been in G54 when I set my Zero. Thanks wvines and everyone else who took the time to help me out.

I have read all the answers here, I checked my tool table settings as well as referenced the machine on start up , the machine was in G54 when I zeroed the job and the part is in G54
    I still got the same results? also had upgraded PP to current version.
    Will
    Going to class tonight so I will as the teacher

In your screen shot, why is there a negative 4.2 on the right hand side and a positive 9.84 on the left hand side for the X axis? It looks to me as though it is upside down and bass ackwards. I'm not sure how that can happen but I would look closely at the tool paths ie Front view, oblique, and maybe the top to decipher if that is the case or not. Please let us know what you find. I am also using PP v1.9.5 without any undesirable issues.

To me this looks like a CAM setup problem not a PP error.
    PP scans code and offsets then calculates all tool paths to determine if they are inside the mill envelope. I see this error on almost every code file I load because most all my parts are multi sided using g54-g59.x . These offsets many times are set to values from other parts and fixtures and generate tool paths well outside work envelope. I tend to ignore those errors because I know the cam setup is correct and when the offset is set correctly "during program execution" all the tool paths are ok and not a problem. The values for each offset are now in the offset table "set during execution" and no need to find them again if that code is repeated for another part. "it learned the locations on first run" and they no longer generate errors and I can go on to make as many parts as desired.

I sorted out my problem, I had the Y origin at the back of the job but the cam had it in the centre, I reset the job and away it went with no problems!
    Will