587,158 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 100 of 176 50909899100101102110150
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3662

Hybrid View

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Well if you consider the fact that Tormach has hand scraped dovetail slides and that means expensive highly skilled labour at rates the Chines would never contemplate, being competitive is like running a family sedan on a F1 race way at peak hour.

I don't think Defeng has broken the technology barrier with his design, he's just weighed up the advantages and created a state of the art machine that ticks all the boxes......anyone can do likewise, but so far nobody has thought to do it that way.

Labour costs are the biggest insurmountable barrier to anyone in the West.......oh yeah, and a desire to create a piece of work that will be admired as opposed to just another money making attempt with all the cheap aspects as a design feature thrown in.

It also seems that the Taiwanese design is out of date compared to the mainland Chinese one created by Defeng, so if Tormach copied the Taiwanese model they are also out of date.

Time will tell if the venture succeeds and is copied down to the last nut and bolt in an attempt to emulate the Chinese wunderkind........LOL.

This is purely my opinion, so if it clashes with anyone's point of view.....that's life, but not as you see it.

BTW, the listed machine(s) on the Skyfire website are for the original basic SVM-0 machine with just the ER32 spindle and probably the SVM-1 and 2 models as well, so a lot of water has passed under the bridge in the evolution process, and that will impact on the final offering, but that is all to the good if your chasing the perfection path.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Well if you consider the fact that Tormach has hand scraped dovetail slides and that means expensive highly skilled labour at rates the Chines would never contemplate, being competitive is like running a family sedan on a F1 race way at peak hour.
    most chinese machines have hand sraped ways. my weiss wmd16v does. the tormach has turcute actually. (which is of course scraped too). my novakon also has turcite.

the mill that started all this was the Rong Fu RF45 made in taiwan some years ago (they still make it, but most people only ever see cheaper clones). the mikini/skyfire, tormach, sieg/novakon/smithy and almost every other hobby mill is an evolution of that machine - some being better than others.

If anyone has an email address Defeng is responding to, can you PM me with it.

In other words, nothing new under the Sun, but a definite step in the right direction along the tree of evolution.

Quite frankly, if the SVM-0 had started out with dovetail slides I wouldn't have given it a second look.......but that's just me.......actually it was the aspect of the split head casting for spindle change over that sold me completely.
    Ian..

It's all gone very quiet again.........I wonder if the electric PDB is not working out as planned........a pity if it isn't working as I rather like the idea of a click on click off solution as opposed to the huff and puff other method.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    I wonder if the electric PDB is not working out as planned........a pity if it isn't working as I rather like the idea of a click on click off solution as opposed to the huff and puff other method.
    Ian-
    pneumatic draw bar is just as much of a "click on click off solution". Push the button for open... push the button for close. simple, no fuss. Electric is an overly complex solution that isn't required. Anybody who has a milling machine should probably also have an air compressor. Some things are easier to do with pneumatic tools.

Worried about the noise of an air compressor? You are cutting metal with a milling machine... that is not exactly quiet, especially when you start boring holes or facing materials.

It is not like you are using a sewing machine...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I prefer understing it different way , quiet = lot of work , so good thing no ? , more over don't see why the electric PDB will not work , that's basic motion no worry for that .
    The last shippment was a svm2 with an air PDB . Not yet an electric one shipped yet .
    The only thing i worried about is the massive explosion at tianjin hope D was not here at time of incident ! So much died and injured pray for them

Quote Originally Posted by jips View Post
    The only thing i worried about is the massive explosion at tianjin hope D was not here at time of incident ! So much died and injured pray for them
    He is too far away to be affected,by the explosion Tianjin is 400 miles from Yantai
    Mactec54

Let's not have this conversation again...
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi, an even greater worry is the devaluing of the Yuan posted on the news yesterday.......can't say by how much.

All Skyfire.com products are listed in US dollars, so this will affect the pricing eventually.

I would imagine that this might be to Defeng's advantage, as I US dollar now means more Yuans etc.
    Ian.

I know that he not "work" here but in yentai , but people are not static have family etc... it's not all about the "machine production" there's human behind

At the moment, all the trees are out in blossom as it's our Spring down under........in another 2 months the elapsed time will be 2 years since I placed the order for the SVM-0 mill........I hope I'll get some actual work time on the mill before they cart me off or I forget what a mill is......LOL.

I expect the deathly silence at the moment is due to Defeng touring the States setting up the dealership, so he'll be well away from the scene of the big bang.
    Ian.

Yes, as they say, all good things come to those who are patient.
    My SVM-2 arrived today, and it is very nice and well built.
    Unfortunately it may be some weeks before I get to use it, but will post here once I do.
    Attachment 290316

Wow, happy, happy, joy, joy, as my kids would say!

How'd you go with the customs and brokerage fees?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Wow, happy, happy, joy, joy, as my kids would say!

How'd you go with the customs and brokerage fees?

cheers, Ian
    Not sure yet, should have the bill in a day or so, but it looked like it was going to be around the $2,500 including the GST, about the same as a new tooth….

Quote Originally Posted by DagnWal View Post
    Not sure yet, should have the bill in a day or so, but it looked like it was going to be around the $2,500 including the GST, about the same as a new tooth….
    The good thing is you can make your own tooth now...

Attachment 290352

Quote Originally Posted by DagnWal View Post
    OMG.....there goes the kid's inheritance........Mum told me there would be days like this....LOL.......the term "jewel of a machine" just took on a new meaning.

You lucky dog........have fun.
    Ian.

So does this make 2 machines delivered so far that we know of? Does anyone know how many mills were ordered and paid for altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    So does this make 2 machines delivered so far that we know of? Does anyone know how many mills were ordered and paid for altogether?
    i think its 4 shipped actually.

My SVM2 has arrived as well, I'll try to post a photo over the weekend.

Page 100 of 176 50909899100101102110150