587,768 active members*
3,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Shoulder chamfering?

This isn't a Tormach specific question, but since the community here is nice and it's the machine we've got I decided to post here. We have a part that we need to machine with a chamfered shoulder (see attached picture, the chamfer is some 5mm tall). When we had the part done outside, the contractor would run a regular endmill in various steps as to simulate the chamfer, giving us a staircase-like jagged effect. Since this chamfer is there mainly for cosmetic purposes and we now have a Tormach at our disposal, we want to do it right. I've never used a zero-point chamfering tool before, but I'm assuming the zero-point actually has some actual physical dimension that would prevent the bottom surface from being perfect after the chamfering operation.
    Any suggestions on how to proceed?

If it's a 45-degree angle, you could do it with a 90-degree spotting drill, making two or more passes to cover the entire chamfer area.

Regards,
    Ray L.

If its just cosmetic, you could use a radiused corner endmill, I dont know what the correct terminology is for it.
    Depending on the part the whole pocket could be machined with it.
    mike sr

Ball nose end mill. Much easier.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Can you give a better discription of the part? Is it a straight wall? Is it in the bottom of a pocket? Is it on an island where you cut all around the part?

There are lots of people who can help you here, but the discription you have given is rather vague.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

If I understand correctly you want a chamfer on the inside corner between a vertical and horizontal edge. I believe that the cutter you need is called a bull nose end mill. These are available as normal mills and with inserts. Google for lots of photos and manufacturers. See HSMWorks for a picture. As one example of one using inserts see Bull Nose End Mills ? KDMT