587,366 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline 5410 okay for doing copper?

Sherline 5410 okay for doing copper?

I don't have any machining tools yet. I plan on getting a Sherline 5410 as there is a local supplier. However, I'm curious if people think it is sturdy enough to deal with some copper, I don't mind if I need low feed rates. I'm mostly worried about the z-axis column looking very flimsy. However I think the Sherline is a good learning machine so I feel if it can't do copper then maybe I'll just stick with aluminum. I do plan on later in the future getting perhaps a Syil X4 or X6 but I'd like to have basic manual and CNC machining skills before I do get a more expensive machine that is capable of making massive destruction. Anyways If anyone has any thoughts that would be nice.

Anyone?

The sherline 54XX will handle copper and even stainless steel. With light cuts and patience you will be amazed at what these little sherlines can do.

http://www.sherline.com/workshop.htm

Search youtube for some great videos of these machines in action.

SOME people can cut metals well on a Sherline. You also might not really understand what small cuts mean. I can only imagine how slow steel would go. Eternity might be a good word. You can watch Tryally on youtube (Luiz Ally) his skills are amazing. If you are just starting out in machining (which I am too) dont be suprised if you dont have the same results LOL. If you are thinking of moving up already (as indicated by your statement) go ahead and save for it now. I like my Sherline. It is a great learning tool and very forgiving or cheap to crash. I have never broken anything but end mills or the part, might have required a retramming once or twice. If you work on anything other than metal, like wood, plastic or foams the Sherline would be excellent. It is very accurate for its price. It would be good for a proving tool or a probing station possibly. Yes the Z does move if pushed at all. In fact the whole machine will flex if too deep or fast cuts are made. You will be constantly increasing the feedrate override if you watch it run. Now if you are confident in your tool paths and could leave the machine to run on its own, dont have to run coolant or vacuum swarf or anything else that could require your immediate attention it will be great. However if you think water doesnt boil fast enough, you will surely get impatient quick. I purchased a Dyna DM 2400 (a very small educational based cnc milling machine) it weighs 350lbs instead of the 40lbs of the Sherline. The footprint is a little larger but not much maybe 12" larger in X. It is very quiet during its machining in relation to the Sherline and the finish results are night and day. Using cutting tool formulas to calculate feeds, depth of cuts and speeds on the Sherline didnt ever seem to work for me. They were always too aggressive.

I didnt mean to imply to look for a Dyna though it would be a great find. I did and am learning a great deal about all of the parts and their interactions via the Sherline. A harbor freight and a cnc kit would teach you a lot also.

Sherlines are good learning tools if you don't have any skills in machining.

Cutting steel on a Sherline mill is possible, but as mentioned, you'll grow old doing it.

Accuracy is ok, again its good if you move super slow with small cuts. Anything that going to need to be hogged out , should be done with a saw and clean up cuts done on the Sherline. Don't think your going to cut .050 off a pass on 1018 without inaccuracy and tool marks , broken tools etc. I mean it is possible, but again it won't don't expect real machine performance from it.

For a toy, its fine. Plastic , some aluminum, wood. They are good proto type small parts machines. But for production or steel, look at something a little beefier.

I own two Sherlines and a A2Z Sherline clone. I wish I would have bought one machine for the price of the three I have and been happier. They work and they cut material for me. But not like I was under the influence that they would.

Thank you guys for the info, still pretty sure I'll go with the sherline and at least if I break something it isn't too much money down the tube. Being a poor student kind of sucks.

Sherline mill limits

you can mill steel, stainless easily with a Sherline mill. but I usually use 3/16" diameter end mills and 0.010 to 0.040" depths of cut.. if you use 3/8" end mills you have to use less depth of cut.
    With 1" or 2" flycutter you definitely need to take 0.010" or less depth of cuts.
    You have similar limits with a Bridgeport type turret knee mill. Anything over 3/4" end mill if pushed to it's limits will cause vibration and possible motor stalling. But a Bridgeport can take a 3 or 4" flycutter easily if you take low depth of cuts.

What kind of feedrate are you using in steel at a .01 doc? Flood? I could only get about 4-6 ipm in aluminum with that cut. Probably less. I personally think anything approaching a .250 end mill is probably too big for the Sherline/A2ZCNC stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    you can mill steel, stainless easily with a Sherline mill. but I usually use 3/16" diameter end mills and 0.010 to 0.040" depths of cut.. if you use 3/8" end mills you have to use less depth of cut.
    With 1" or 2" flycutter you definitely need to take 0.010" or less depth of cuts.
    You have similar limits with a Bridgeport type turret knee mill. Anything over 3/4" end mill if pushed to it's limits will cause vibration and possible motor stalling. But a Bridgeport can take a 3 or 4" flycutter easily if you take low depth of cuts.