587,837 active members*
3,428 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > SDNC Transfer software for 64 bit

SDNC Transfer software for 64 bit

We have been using standatd SDNC transfer software for years in our 32 bit computers. We just changed to HP 64 bit computers and the SDNC software will not transfer. We downloaded some 64 bit SDNC software but it still will not transfer the programs to the machines.

We have Fadel machining centers and are now running HP 64 bit computers. Anyone else having this issue. If so, any work-arounds?

Any more information you need just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

when you changed to your 64 bit did anything on the hardware change? did your old pc have a 25 pin port and your new one have a 9 pin?

The old computer was Windows XP Pro 32 bit and the new on is Windows 7 (Pro I think) 64 bit.

Windows XP 32 bit is DB9 to RS232 then RS232 to the machining center.

Windows 7 64 bit is USB to RS2323 to the machining center

Thanks for the reply, Terry

Sorry for the edit. Our IT guy gave me incorrect information.

Port settings

Did you open your COM port settings? The defaults on Windows 7 differ from Windows XP. Start by checking that. Baud rate, stop bit, handshake, etc..

They did check that and make them both the same (or so I was told).

Sierra VF2,

I found that they were having the same issue as you with not receiving the complete program or just scatterd bits of it. They also said that one out of every 20-30 trys of trying to download a program it would actually send the whole program.

I told the machinest to try using the USB cable from the new Windows 7 computer on the old Winfows XP and see if it would download correctly that way. If that worked then it is in the Windows 7 64 bit system not the cable configuration or maybe a bad transfer cable.

Terry

keep me posted

I am having a similar issue. Have communication set up, but still cant get a proper read. Playing with cable lengths, configurations, transfer speeds. I will let you know if I get any answers.

XP

Thats what I have found. Hooking the serial adapter, from the Windows 7 unit, to any XP computer, works fine. I thought maybe cable length was an issue. A short G code program will not load at all. With a longer program, the first portion is fragmented, then the later portion loads fine.

I'll let you know what we find on our end as well.

Terry

Sierra VF2,

I ran across some info through the HP website but don't know if it will apply to you. The HP site says there is an issue if you are using a NVIDIA USB ECHI chipset. Here is the link to the HP info, HP Z220 Convertible Minitower Workstation - HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 7) - c01893385 - HP Business Support Center

About 3/4 the way down you will find info form "Windows 7 freezes or data transfers fail when using a USB device".

Again, I does not work for us because we are not using an NVIDIA USB ECHI, but it might work for you.

Good luck.
    Terry
    "I might be parinoid but that does not mean they are not watching me"

We finally found something that worked for us. The only way that we could get this to work is to install a 9 Pin card in the computer and run it off of that. For some reason it did not like to run thru a USB port. As for anyone trying to use a laptop, I can't say what to use.
    Terry

Ugh...the challenge of low quality USB to serial adapters. I am sorry I did not get to chime in sooner, but the first thing would to buy a good USB to serial adapter. The low cost units will deliver a file only part of the time, part of the file, after multiple tries and it's not worth the headache.

Check out our solutions on our site if we can still help with a cable or setup on the machine. If you still are faced with a problem, give me a call directly.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

The USB to serial adapter that we tried cost around $20 and did not work. I will check out your web site and also give you a call.
    Terry