587,092 active members*
5,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

School me on coolant...

So, I've had my Tormach less than a year, and recently got one of those nifty coolant sight gauges. I pulled the tank, and it was NASTY in there. Huge floating mold type thingies, and lots of gunk. I hardly use the machine, so it was a bit of a surprise. I presume some of it was due to not having my coolant at the right mixture, so I bought a refractometer. I also use the Tormach specified coolant (lets not get off on a coolant tangent please).

Questions:
    1. Will keeping the right coolant mix prevent growing gunk in the tank?
    2. Tramp oil pillows: Cost effective alternative? Also, do you put it in the tray above the tank, or down in the tank? How often to change it?
    3. Anybody mod their drain with a more effective screen strategy?

I wonder about putting material in the drain tray to trap oil, with screen on top of that? Just thinking aloud, but there have got to be better methods than the stock system!

Certain coolants will do that, I use Kool Mist only and that will NEVER happen. As for oil absorption, I use Pig Mat I get from work, I put a layer in the pull out tray/drawer and poke a hole where the drain is (the hose), the coolant drains slow enough that oil is sucked up into the pig mat, but it soaks up some coolant too, so then I have to add coolant, and I have to change the pig mat every week or it gets full and is pointless. Overall I'm still looking for a better solution for oils aswell. I did fix my screen up quite a bit, you can see it in the Tormach Cleaning thread.

I use the FogBuster system. I love it.
    32682 - Fog Buster Spray Coolant Kit

I've never had ANY growth, or odor, using KoolMist, either as mist or flood, even when it's sat unused for weeks. I've been using Rustlick WS5050 for about two months now, and had zero problems with that as well. Some coolants are far more prone to bacterial and fungal growth than others.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have had Rustlick ws5050 in my machine for over a year with zero problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    So, I've had my Tormach less than a year, and recently got one of those nifty coolant sight gauges. I pulled the tank, and it was NASTY in there. Huge floating mold type thingies, and lots of gunk. I hardly use the machine, so it was a bit of a surprise. I presume some of it was due to not having my coolant at the right mixture, so I bought a refractometer. I also use the Tormach specified coolant (lets not get off on a coolant tangent please).

Questions:
    1. Will keeping the right coolant mix prevent growing gunk in the tank?
    2. Tramp oil pillows: Cost effective alternative? Also, do you put it in the tray above the tank, or down in the tank? How often to change it?
    3. Anybody mod their drain with a more effective screen strategy?

I wonder about putting material in the drain tray to trap oil, with screen on top of that? Just thinking aloud, but there have got to be better methods than the stock system!
    I had the same problem with the coolant I purchased with the machine,I switched to a soluble oil type and so far the problem has not reoccured, I dont know the brand as I have had it for years and its not in the original container.
    I changed my screen to a stainless steel version, the aluminum one had some holes in it from maybe acid in the first batch of coolant, it was 40 mesh which is a bit finer than the original screen.
    mike sr

I use a cheap aquarium air pump/bubbler in each of my coolant tanks.
    Kool Mist #77 as flood coolant on the CNC's and the manual mills.
    Rustlick Synkool for the cold saw and bandsaw.
    Having the coolant aerated helps to keep down any bacteria growth.

I've heard having some copper shavings in the tank helps also, but haven't tried it.

I've heard something about copper too.. Mostly I'd like to improve on what gets into the tank via some improved drain system.... I'll probably do some mods this weekend now that I have it all cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    I've heard something about copper too.. Mostly I'd like to improve on what gets into the tank via some improved drain system.... I'll probably do some mods this weekend now that I have it all cleaned up.
    I commented on this in a thread a year or so ago. Copper (zero)- that is, copper metal- is antimicrobial. I've used copper pennies (back when they were copper...), and more recently just copper wool, which is available but pricy. While negative evidence doesn't prove the point, I've never had overgrowth in the tank while doing that. There is also a copper(I) chelate, monocopper citrate (MCC) which works pretty well to control microbial growth- it's commonly used in carwashes that recycle their water. Used to be made by a company in Cincinnati; don't know if it's available anymore. Don't use other copper (I) or (II) salts; depending on what you're cutting, you'll have all sorts of interesting results. Interesting in the sense of the old Chinese curse.

Incidentally, silver metal (zero valent silver) works pretty well too. At current copper prices, it may be a reasonable alternative! Again, the trick is to get it very exposed to the coolant; micron particles, or high surface area like metal wool. The metallic wools are less available than powders, but the powders go everywhere- I avoid them.

If you use a good synthetic or semisynthetic coolant, which will have a good preservative system, keep the tank covered, minimize digestible organic contaminants (eg, fat), and occasionally aerate the tank if it's been sitting, you probably don't need extra antimicrobials like copper wool. But it can't hurt.

I aerated Kool mist for 6 months, and quit for 5 months so far, and no difference.

Coolant mixed too "thick" can cause cheeselike buildup. Aeration will definitely help. I've never had good luck with any coolant that looks like milk once mixed. We use Charcool at work and it's been great for over 9 months since first mixing & charging the tank. Mixes translucent blue.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    IIncidentally, silver metal (zero valent silver) works pretty well too. At current copper prices, it may be a reasonable alternative! Again, the trick is to get it very exposed to the coolant; micron particles, or high surface area like metal wool. The metallic wools are less available than powders, but the powders go everywhere- I avoid them.
    A silver wire with a DC voltage e.g 12V and 12 ground return that puts antimicrobial silver ions ino the coolant. Don't need much silver at all.

Don Clement

looks like maybe my coolant ratio was too low. I did 6 cups in the tank, and only reads 1 brix.... What about sorbent pillow? - cheapest place to get?