587,496 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 8 123

saw everyone else building and figured i would...

Soooo I see everyone posting up their table builds and thought I would join in since I have a little extra cash laying around.

As it sits I just purchased the metal for the table ($1098) total for the metal and of course ill need more for the slats since im doing a full water table. this will be a 5x10' table.

Also placed my order for linear slides for both the x and y axis, along with the chain system for the wiring and other misc bearings.

I figure ill get the table built and linear rails mounted when they come in , water table plumbed to the pump and tank then send off my cad files to get brackets and whatnot waterjet cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-17 20.31.49.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	140365

Name:	2011-08-17 20.32.34.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	140366

im off work the rest of the week so ill get busy cutting and welding tomorrow, i have to pick up another bottle of argon and get some more filler rod...and yes this will be 100% tig welded not that i need more practice...its the only welder i have sadly

That looks like a lot of work sitting on the floor. Great build!
    Anything is possible, just build it!

nothing fancy yet just a basic table all nice and square all edges welded up so far. just need to add bracing around the bottom edges, built up the top half and enclose the water table portion...

my linear rails and other stuff was shipped today, should have it within the next week hopefully.

btw table went together pretty quick, not rushing really just taking my sweet ass time and i have about 4 hours into it so far. my 3 axis vise really came in handy :cheers:

Name:	2011-08-18 23.08.27.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	140420

i know i havent mentioned much on the electronics but ill be using keiling stepper motors, reduction gear setup, torch height control, most likely the hypertherm powermax65 or 85 if i can manage to keep the plasma under $3500 shipped for the 85 then ill pull the trigger on the hypertherm85. going hypertherm is a no brainer...your cuts will only be as good as the plasma you use regardless of anything else in the build....

excuse the welds, i know the color isnt perfect but still fine for what im doing....big ass table kinda wears you out when its all TIG welded.

the middle support will have more to it than i took pics of, once i finish the middle support ill take some pics, kind of an oddball design but its how i wanted it.

Name:	2011-08-19 00.15.45.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	140423

Name:	2011-08-19 00.30.42.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	140424

Name:	2011-08-19 02.14.18.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	140425

Name:	2011-08-19 02.26.40.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	140426

the most basic cad drawing of the table, lots more parts obviously but this is the design of the table by itself.

Name:	table basic.jpg 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	140431

While doing this table, i have some stuff drawn up to make a table for my bandsaw. kinda tired of bending over everytime i use it only to have tubing and whatnot fall off the saw or leak lubrication/coolant everywhere. i ended up changing my cnc plasma table from the original design after i bought the metal so i have quite a bit extra now!

i should have some pics today of the saw table also

Quote Originally Posted by gurew View Post
    the most basic cad drawing of the table, lots more parts obviously but this is the design of the table by itself.

Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	140431
    What is with the extra tubing in the middle, front of the table?

that will actually be the rear of the table, i have some 6" .120 sheet, has an oval with a flat spot where my cable track mounts, thats where the cables and whatnot will tuck under the table without being all over the place. pretty much nothing outside of the machine to snag or trip on. the sides will be enclosed most likely after the entire table is built

Name:	2011-08-19 12.35.10.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	140440

slowly adding material, not welded fully on the lower most pieced i just added, just tacked

that will actually be the rear of the table, i have some 6" .120 sheet, has an oval with a flat spot where my cable track mounts, thats where the cables and whatnot will tuck under the table without being all over the place. pretty much nothing outside of the machine to snag or trip on. the sides will be enclosed most likely after the entire table is built
    Excellent idea!

Views:	143 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	140441

so you can get a better idea

Views:	143 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	140441

so you can get a better idea
    That reminds me, I need to start thinking about obtaining some cable carriers. Where are you getting yours from?

BTW, that looks great!

Gurew,

Nice looking job on the machine. Have built a few myself, currently have two cnc plasma's in my shop, and waiting for parts (motors, drives, THC, software) for a third. When it comes closer to getting the machine fired up....I'll be happy to help out!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

nothing fancy yet just a basic table all nice and square all edges welded up so far. just need to add bracing around the bottom edges, built up the top half and enclose the water table portion...

my linear rails and other stuff was shipped today, should have it within the next week hopefully.

btw table went together pretty quick, not rushing really just taking my sweet ass time and i have about 4 hours into it so far. my 3 axis vise really came in handy :cheers:

Name:	2011-08-18 23.08.27.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	140420

i know i havent mentioned much on the electronics but ill be using keiling stepper motors, reduction gear setup, torch height control, most likely the hypertherm powermax65 or 85 if i can manage to keep the plasma under $3500 shipped for the 85 then ill pull the trigger on the hypertherm85. going hypertherm is a no brainer...your cuts will only be as good as the plasma you use regardless of anything else in the build....

igus® - Plastic Bushings, Linear Guides, Cable Carriers, Continuous-Flex Cables is your friend.... ive build all kinds of stuff, my own welding positioners, robot welders, and i buy all of my bearings and cable stuff from them...

plastic bearings dont conduct current....so you dont have to worry about having some super badass grounding strap and worry if it fails do you ruing your entire welding positioner/robot. and the plastic bearings hold up nice in terms of wear and tear...gotta check out their bearings for sure! ill post pics of mine when they come in

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Gurew,

Nice looking job on the machine. Have built a few myself, currently have two cnc plasma's in my shop, and waiting for parts (motors, drives, THC, software) for a third. When it comes closer to getting the machine fired up....I'll be happy to help out!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    ill def be in contact. do you sell hypertherm also? if so can you beat bakersgas.com's pricing on the hypertherm 45/65/85?

realistically i wont cut anything over 5/8" and i wouldnt mind cutting from the side instead of peirce...and it would be nice to have a handheld and machine torch setup where i dont have to remove the torches...ie 2 plasma's

think it would be possible to get 2 hypertherm 45's for the same price as the 85?

The 45 will pierce 1/2", the 65 will pierce 5/8. Edge starting with the 45 still provides respectable speeds to 3/4", and the 65 to 7/8". The 65 does have the newest (Duramax) torch design....the patented conical flow nozzle technology (higher energy density with faster speed and squarer edges) as well as Hypertherm's shield technology, and the new spring start torch technology....no moving parts in the torch to wear out. Torches are quick change so you can switch in seconds from hand to machine torch....and air pressure is automatic....it senses which consumables are in the torch. There is a built in multi ratio voltage divider for the torch height control....and easily interfaceable CPC connectors on the rear panel for plug and play interfacing. The digital display provides full diagnostic feedback with error codes as needed (kind of like the check engine code on your car)...and there is an optional serial interface that allows for remote control of amperage, air pressure, and full diagnostic code reading.

Hypertherm does not sell direct....systems are sold through our authorized, technically trained distributors. You can locate the distributors on the website....or simply google the product (Powermax65) online and you will see that some of the distributors will sell that way.

Keep us posted on your build. What THC system are you considering? I have one of the CandCNC.com THC's on order.....we'll see how it works as I get my build going.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

sound good ill just get the 65 and a 45.

Hypertherm Powermax 65 - Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies which powermax 65 off that site should i get?

ive yet to find anyone cheaper than them...

Texas MicroCircuits CNC Torch Height Controller Product Line

THC301b is what i plan to buy since i can mount it in the computer that will use mach3. trying to go the route that everything will fit inside the computer as 1 piece..less wires outside the computer. i already have the computer with a 23" multitouch screen monitor, i use one to design in solidworks and figure it would be easy to draw up a quick part by touching the screen vs a mouse

as for the floating Z axis, im not sure which way i want to go be it premade or make my own, i have access to several cnc machines (cnc programmer by trade)

You really want one of the machine torch systems with the CPC port, your choice of lead length (for the torch leads, 25' or 50') and you do not need the remote / on off pendant. I don't see that one listed, however they can get them in a day or two from the factory. The prices are good.

Personally...I prefer buying locally. I would look at the internet pricess....then see if your local welding distributor can come close to the price. Usually they can get close, but often they may throw in a few accesories such as gloves, glasses, etc. You then will have local support for warranty issues, etc.

Jim

sound good ill just get the 65 and a 45.

Hypertherm Powermax 65 - Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies which powermax 65 off that site should i get?

ive yet to find anyone cheaper than them...

Texas MicroCircuits CNC Torch Height Controller Product Line

THC301b is what i plan to buy since i can mount it in the computer that will use mach3. trying to go the route that everything will fit inside the computer as 1 piece..less wires outside the computer. i already have the computer with a 23" multitouch screen monitor, i use one to design in solidworks and figure it would be easy to draw up a quick part by touching the screen vs a mouse

as for the floating Z axis, im not sure which way i want to go be it premade or make my own, i have access to several cnc machines (cnc programmer by trade)

believe me i love buying local however when it comes to equipment. the local guys want to rip you a new one on pricing and usually dont budge at all and accessories dont make up for the $600 i save ordering online.

if you can find me someone local that will sell to me for the same price...ill gladly pay locally

Hypertherm Powermax 65 Machine System with CPC Port - 25 ft Lead and Remote ON/OFF Switch - 083277 | Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies

how about that one??

side note..the local companies as far as warranty is concerned, its a 14 or 30 day return policy aside from that you have to ship it off to the manufacturer so warranty doesnt really mean jack **** anymore for buying local...this is the same reason why i wont buy from bestbuy or frys electronics anymore

Page 1 of 8 123