587,321 active members*
3,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sankyo MC101NS302SNN24 Help

Master Granite,

I would like to know if your servo drive will work with a Sankyo MC101NS302SNN24 3 phase ac servo.

The motor specs are ac 200-230v 100 watt .90A rms 3000r/min

There are four heavy wires for the motor (Black - Red - White + a Ground) and seven small encoder wires (red, red-black, white, white-black, yellow, yellow-black & green)

I have no idea how the connect the wires and can't find any documentation on this servo.

I removed the cover for the encoder and there are no markings that I can see on the pc board.

This is a nema 17 size and I would not have a problem replacing it with a nema 17 stepper however I dont think a stepper will have enough torque.

Please tell me what options there might be for my delema.

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    [email protected]

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like it has differential encoder, which is ok. However, figuring out encoder pinout would be necessary of course. Motor manufacturer might send specs when asked.

Otherwise, it sounds like suitable motor. 200-230V is probably RMS value so it may be limited to 2/3 of rated speed at 160-200VDC.

Xerxes,

Xerxes,

How would I be able to find out what wires connect to what on the differential encoder, there are only seven wires?

I am not doubting what you are saying, I am getting conflicting information.

This is what Unterhaus replyed

"The encoder wiring suggests that it's actually a resolver. An encoder would probably have one more wire, if not 4 more wires. Since you've taken the lid off, do you know for sure that it's an encoder? A resolver is going to look like a can, and you probably can tell that there is a rotor on the motor shaft.

If it is an encoder, it doesn't have enough wires to be differential. the other option is 3 hall tracks, 2 quadrature tracks, an index track, power and ground. But you don't have enough wires for that either. Leave off the index track, and that might be it. If the obvious pairs (i.e. red/red white) have continuity, that is a resolver."

I did take the cover off, what should I be looking for?

Thank You for your help

Jeff Alessi

Well, first you have to know if it is encoder at all :-) You can't be sure just by looking wires. I have seen unusual encoder wire coloring in AC servos too. Differential encoder needs 6 wires in minimum (8 with index).

Some resolvers & encoders:
    http://www.bomatec.ch/angebot/sensorik/angebote_e.php

Xerxes,

Thank you for sending the link, it is very informative!

I took a few pictures, maybe this will help to identify what this is.

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EN1s.jpg   EN2s.jpg   EN3s.jpg  

I bet it's some kind of encoder since resolvers don't need any electronics within them. However, it still pretty hard to guess wiring or output type without a closer look and testing. It's probaby best to contact Sankyo and ask spec sheet for this motor/encoder.

Contacting Sankyo

Xerxes,

I have emailed Sankyo several times however I am still waiting on a answer from them.

As soon as I find out any information I will contact you.

Until then thank you for your generous help.

Have a most awesome day!

Jeff Alessi

[email protected]

I hope they answer. Getting an answer to small requests is unfortunately the usual problem with big companies.

Anyway, thank you for your interest!