587,259 active members*
3,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RS232 & other things

Hello! I am really, really, really green at this, so please bear with me and my questions!

I work for a machinery dealer and we are getting more & more into CNC. I am wondering some things, if & when we decide to "take the plunge" and buy a RS232 cable & a laptop.
    1) Is there anything besides parameters that can be downloaded or helpful to download @ the same time?
    2) Does an RS232 cable hook up to 90% or more CNC machines (all makes, models, machining & turning centers & more)? Are there any other considerations for this? A different cable for other machines or something more universal?
    3) I know that most parameters fit with more than enough room on a 3.5" floppy disk. However, on most computers, these seem to be fading quickly. Are there any considerations for this? Is it totally up to us? Does it just depend on how laptops go? If most go to CD burners, then, do it that way? Does it matter either way?

Thanks!!!!

Log on to this site and pick up the free download program and you also have the parameters for most machines you might come across.
    Another thing to be aware of, is most modern lap tops do not have an RS232 port, just USB, although I have used a USB to RS232 converter for around $20.00.
    What I did was to buy an old laptop that was in GWC and load windows 98SE, this allows you to also run DOS programs easily, has a floppy drive, and I can also run my DOS modem programs that allow me to quickly diagnose ports etc without the hastle of waiting for windows to load.
    The majority of RS232 cables and machines I have come across that are being used are just three wire with the handshake jumpered out.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Hello! I am really, really, really green at this, so please bear with me and my questions!

I work for a machinery dealer and we are getting more & more into CNC. I am wondering some things, if & when we decide to "take the plunge" and buy a RS232 cable & a laptop.
    A little late to the party but what the heck it is a ball.

Suggestions:
    1. don't be cheap with the laptop hardware.
    2. Expect a huge learning curve.
    3. RS232 cabling can be interesting at times.
    4. RS232 is old technology, you may have to work to find a laptop that supports it.
    5. Make sure your laptop comes with a Ethernet port.
    6 Make sure the laptop has a CDROM burner.
    1) Is there anything besides parameters that can be downloaded or helpful to download @ the same time?
    That depends on the manufacture. You may have the potential to relaod the executive if the hardware supports it.
    2) Does an RS232 cable hook up to 90% or more CNC machines (all makes, models, machining & turning centers & more)? Are there any other considerations for this? A different cable for other machines or something more universal?
    Many considerations which I can't go into in depth. For some automation work I've done I resorted to carrying around a bag full of RS232 adapters for specific controllers. Then there is a whole world outside of RS232.
    3) I know that most parameters fit with more than enough room on a 3.5" floppy disk. However, on most computers, these seem to be fading quickly. Are there any considerations for this? Is it totally up to us? Does it just depend on how laptops go? If most go to CD burners, then, do it that way? Does it matter either way?

Thanks!!!!
    Parameters are one thing that may or may not fit on floppy. NC code is another thing, don't assume that it will fit.

Sorry have to go to work bye

dave

Great, this is all wonderful input which we will use, I am sure! Thanks so much for the tips. We might not purchase for a bit yet, so you are still more than welcome to comment! Thanks again!

If you have the time I would wait a bit as the next generation of laptops will be out soon. Things change fast in the PC industry, so it doesn't make alot of sense to buy before the hardware is absolutely needed. The exception to this is if you will be learning about computer technology itself to prep for future usages. Computer sklills are a key element in being successful with the applications you will be using.

One thing I wanted to touch upon, which is often ignored by businesses, is training sponsored by the contoller manufacture. This can be key in leveraging their software and lead to a much deeper understanding of the hardware. Without such training you can end up very lost, depending of course on the controller.

So you have to types or proficientcies you need to worry about. One is understanding PC's generally enough to operate them outside of the environment created by mainstream applications. The other is understanding the controller hardware and software deeply enough to be conversant with the controllers. You can actually start working in these skills now without the laptop.

As to communications that is an interesting subject in and of itself. Do not get to reliant on the idea that you only will be involved in RS232. There are so many possibilities that I won't even try to list them. It would pay however to get a bit of ethernet worked into any PC training you get.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Great, this is all wonderful input which we will use, I am sure! Thanks so much for the tips. We might not purchase for a bit yet, so you are still more than welcome to comment! Thanks again!