587,485 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rounding of an edge

Hey guys fist of i would like to introduce myself my name is Chris Shaffer and i am a owner/opperater of a paintball field and store in Austin Texas. I have gottin into milling because alot of my coustomers are looking for a good place to get mill work done. I have a Harbor freight mini mill that i have been doing work with. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44991 that's the mill i have.I have some milling under my belt like this

I am trying to get the back part of the marker rounded like this its i nice smooth curve that i have no idea how to do.

what tools do i need to get this kind of thing done?

Here is what i have to work with

1)Harbor Freight Mini Mill
    2)3in screewless vice
    3)thin Parallels
    3) (1/4)(5/16)(1/2) end mills

What tools do i need to add to my collection, and where is the best place to get them.What is the best way to get the nice smooth and rounded look?

If this is just a one of a kind job get a ball endmill and scribe the arc on your end cut, then by eyeball take stepped cuts along the profile. Finish it up by knocking down the peaks with a hand file then even everything up with emerycloth strip.

For small scale production of a similar arc I'd suggest a formed cutter. I used a 1/2" radius formed cutter to make .45 slides and comp body blanks.

I always dealt with MSC (www.mscdirect) for most of my stuff, as it saved hunting all over for a piece here and a piece there. About the only thing I didn't get from MSC was raw materials, since I had a couple of very good local suppliers for small quantities.

Tiger

I will be doing a good number of these where is the formed cutter i have serched for formed cutter on the page you gave me and got nothing can you post a link?

Here is a place to start. Not all of them are on that one catalog page. check a couple pages or so both sides of this starting point.

EDIT- Hmm... just had a browse and they are all on the one page. Used to be about three pages of the things.

Tiger

Thanks, I dont know why i could not come up with that myself