587,453 active members*
4,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Rifle Action Plans?

hey guys hows it going? i was wondering if anyone had a cad/cam file for a bolt action rifle [remington 700 or something simular] receiver that they didnt mind sharing? i'm trying draw one and itd be very nice to have one to go by as an example. thanks in advance

Be careful what you ask for and admit to trying, As a firearm receiver falls under a class 3 firearms manufacture class, And the ATF frowns on individuals trying to reproduce such items.

yea i'm aware of that. i am wanting to change several thing to make it my own custom action. an individual can machine his own private guns as long as you dont intend to sell them. from atf website..

Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
    However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
    imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
    approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

www.cncgunsmithing.com

Has lots of semi auto rifles and pistol models you can download.

Even has step by step instructions on how to make your own as long as you have a decent CNC machine.

I've e-mailed the owner a few times, Justin. Real nice guy, hell of a machinist.

hey thanks for the reply. ive emailed him a couple times and yes he is a great machinist; but he doesnt do bolt guns. im hoping to try one of his ar10 projects this winter.

I don't know for sure, but looking at the model 700 (or any bolt gun) looks to me like EDM would be the way to go. It will be pretty hard to re create the internal square corners that deep with a mill (or at all).

gump it is quite legal to make your own rifle. I know that the ATF website address this clearly. They would prefer you get a serial # from them but that is not mandatory. Are you wanting to do a centerfire or rimfire? The heat treating on the centerfire is critical, least that's what mama always said!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    I don't know for sure, but looking at the model 700 (or any bolt gun) looks to me like EDM would be the way to go. It will be pretty hard to re create the internal square corners that deep with a mill (or at all).

yes sir you are correct it would be very hard to get those groves cut. i plan on using a friends edm machine for the inside detail cutting.

mike,

it's going to be a centerfire and from what ive heard 17-4 is the going stainless to work with. i'm wanting to build a switch barrel gun and maybe [if i can afford it] a 50 bmg for super long range.

thanks for the replies!

I think a falling block design, like a Ruger #1, in .50 BMG would be quite interesting.

yes sir that would be something different. heres what i had in mind of doing on a 50 click here . simple but very effective

Advantages to the falling block design is it could be produced with no EDM and it shortens the overall length. Considering the barrel length considerations of .50 BMG rifle of 48 inches for good performance, anything that reduces the overall length is a good thing.

everything you mentioned are true but i've just always favored bolt guns.

If you like 50 cals try Bill Holmes. Not a 700 action but it works.
    I have a pdf of the book. Looks pretty complete. Havent had the time or money to put one together yet.

Donny

www.whiterivermfg.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50cal.jpg  

You guys are lucky they aren't legal in Calif. any more! Especialy now that I have the money to buy one! Although a freind of mine said it will be a few months but a new Caliber that is virtualy the same but with a different name will be out. Thank god the lawmakers only name the "50bmg" as the illegal an no just any 50 cal gun!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

yes sir that does suck about the new calif laws. ive heard of that new 50 caliber round you mentioned but i also heard the brass is very expensive. good luck man!

Thank god the lawmakers only name the "50bmg" as the illegal an no just any 50 cal gun

LOL, that really makes my day, Politicians, what they come up with, one would have to stay up all night, several weeks in a row to match their stupidity

Yessiree, the 50BMG, the gun of choice for all criminals.

Michael, were previously owned grandfathered ?

Gump, I love single shot rifles, especially falling block, but I am with you on the bolt actions.

I don't believe so but I don't know. I would think that the grandfather clause is a must, but I also think that owning a gun is a contitutional right, when it comes to law's I am usually wrong!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

That is actually quite a toothless law if restricted to 50BMG. Any modification to case shape would qualify as a new round, the difficult part is making dies and a chamber reamer. One thing about BMG brass is the taper and shoulder are designed for easy feed. I would think that an alteration of the shoulder diameter to a larger size, hence lowering the taper and increasing the case capacity, would get you around the law. Brass could be then chamber formed. You just don't want to get the taper to straight or you will have trouble extracting it. The disadvantage is you could still chamber a 50BMG round in the firearm.

A better possiblity is a short chamber where the shoulder height off the base of the case is lessened. If you pushed the shoulder back 0.050 there would be no chance of chambering 50BMG. Standard dies for brass forming could be altered by face grinding to use standard 50BMG brass to make the new round. A standard chamber reamer could also be used. It would probably take some case annealing to set the shoulders back but that is easy enough with a torch.. Personally I would also make a go-nogo gage set for the chamber and keep a standard dimension 50BMG dummy (dewat) round with the gun, just in case law enforcement got interested. You could call the new round the "50 California"

(group)

Edit: PS if someone accidently chambered your new set back shoulder round in a real 50BMG firearm it would be safe.

dieguy-

the reamer may not be that hard to get but the dies now thats a different story. there are several companies that will make you a custom ground reamer. their not cheap but it is possible. i remember some time back those mcmillan guys came up with a round called the 50 fatcat or something and had one special made.

gump I was at the McBros booth at one of the shot shows, can't remember which, and actually got to hold one of those rounds in my hand. Of course it was inert, but it was wild. It is based on the 20mm round and is a supersized 6PPC, or more correctly a supersized PPC cartridge. One of the developers told me the following. " We will set the 1000yd group size record with this thing......just as soon as we can figure out how to get more than 20 rounds of barrel life". He told me that just about the time they were getting there with their load development the gun just quit grouping and nothing they could do worked. He said it was hard to believe that just 20 rounds ruined the barrel but once they took it off it was very obvious.

Anyway I thought you might find that interesting.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12