587,089 active members*
3,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Retrofit or building a lathe from scratch?

Hello,

I have an Optimum D210x400 (8"x15") lathe and I'm loving it however I want a CNC. I purchased and used all accessories for this lathe, even a Multifix. When I convert it to CNC most of the parts will be removed. The motor as well because it is a single speed AC motor. Only the bed and the spindle housing will remain.

Would you convert it or built a new lathe from scratch?

The lathe I own

Re: Retrofit or building a lathe from scratch?

I would get a better / bigger lathe. You don't need a lot better / bigger, but based on your spindle thread, I can see you have bigger projects in mind than this. Personally, I would consider a 12" x 30" or so a minimum for a general purpose lathe. You are going to put A LOT of effort into this project, so I don't think starting with a lathe that is too small is a good idea.

I also don't think making your own lathe is practical. Clearly, you could do it, but I think that it's not worth the effort. You would need to make a spindle and all the linear guideways. I think that you would spend your time better scraping a bigger used lathe accurately than making it from scratch. I also think that linear bearing are nice, but not really needed. If you are even considering using your existing lathe, then you are looking for something simple, right?

If you are going to make one from scratch, make sure you have a compelling reason to do it. Don't do it "just because". Maybe you have an idea that is really better or simpler than what I'm thinking of. But don't make one from scratch if you don't have a great idea.

Just my opinion. I'm going to look forward to your project, no matter what.

Thank you very much eb.

Exactly my thoughts. I love playing with manual lathes but the long working times are killing me. Also the lathe I have is small for my needs. So better build a CNC for long term use.

There is a junk dealer near to me. I'll go and see if he has a scrapped lathe bigger than mine. Or I can start from scratch. I have something in my mind about this.

Best

Look there Is an Build Thread on this Forum like slant Bed from tubular Steel if You want a new one Build in Europa drop me a Mail Thomas

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I converted the even smaller Chinese 7x lathe. As you say, you only end up keeping the bed, headstock, saddle, cross slide and tailstock. You are better off looking for either a used CNC Lathe, or a cheap larger lathe.

Something like this...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...5569111-84-434

You work in a machine shop don't you? I'd only consider make my own bed, if I have access to a machine which could mill and grind the bed length.

A cheap old worn out lathe bed, could be milled/ground flat for linear rails to be fitted.

Mark
    Regards,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

No, I'm a software developer. I have my own hobby workshop in my garage. All this stuff is for hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Hello,

I have an Optimum D210x400 (8"x15") lathe and I'm loving it however I want a CNC. I purchased and used all accessories for this lathe, even a Multifix. When I convert it to CNC most of the parts will be removed. The motor as well because it is a single speed AC motor. Only the bed and the spindle housing will remain.

Would you convert it or built a new lathe from scratch?

The lathe I own

Of course everyone has their own opinion on this. I have mine as well. While I love manual machines. CNC machines that are purpose built usually work much better for work done from CAM programming. I do think that it would be wise to get a little bit heavier manual lathe.

I personally, don't like the conversions as an ideal solution but if you have a new manual lathe then you are free to convert the old small lathe and still have a lathe to use. If you will be making lots of medium sized and small parts I would either buy a used CNC lathe or refurbish one unless you have unusual space requirements like I do.