587,375 active members*
3,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Real machine tools on router?

Has anyone tried or knows if its possible to use boring head on router? If so, what kind of "rules" apply to the operation? How much material would it be posible to remove/how fast?

What about other "Big Boys" tools are possilbe to use on router.

My routers stiffness is quite stiff, i guess you can compare construction type to K2's routers. Accuracy is unknown yet

Thank you for any help

P.S. I'm hoping to be able to slowly bore aluminum.

ive seen the damage done from a boring head that was accidentally run at 10000 rpm on a mill ,snaped the 50 taper tool holder in half and there doesn t look like there is a spot in the machine it didn t hit before it finally fell to the bottom of the machine

i would think at the speed of a router spindle the tool would be pretty unstable and or dangerous

hmm, wonder how much different it would be at 8k RPM...

enother thought i have been having is mounting spindle from mini mill to the router... They are fairly cheap. Maybe making somekind of quickchange holder. Like dovetail type, with something holding it from the top... ahh, ideas ideas, not enoght money/time

Centrifugal force, more correctly centripetal acceleration, varies with the square of the rpm so at 8krpm things that are out of balance are experiencing 64% of the force they would experience at 10krpm. Don't do it, you might finish up with bits of tooling embedded in you.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Centrifugal force, more correctly centripetal acceleration, varies with the square of the rpm so at 8krpm things that are out of balance are experiencing 64% of the force they would experience at 10krpm. Don't do it, you might finish up with bits of tooling embedded in you.
    i'm not doing it, i just wanted to know "what if", sure, it would be nice if i could, but if not, that no big deal.

But having some boring bars inlayed in me sounds like fun:wee: