587,789 active members*
4,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Q-setter arm adjustment

Hey fellas, I have a problem with my q-setter. When I bring it down to touch off tools, its way below the center line that the insert's tip is less than 0.5mm from the edge. I have just aligned the turret so i know that it's ok. So my question is how do you adjust the stroke of the arm when it go down so it won't go so low? I have browsed through my manuals and there is a procedure on how to align the sensor but I just couldn't find anything about the arm.

Machine is Puma3100LY.

Thanks a bunch.

Uly

Re: Q-setter arm adjustment

wow.. i have let this sit for a while and still no response.. is there no fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by uperez View Post
    Hey fellas, I have a problem with my q-setter. When I bring it down to touch off tools, its way below the center line that the insert's tip is less than 0.5mm from the edge. I have just aligned the turret so i know that it's ok. So my question is how do you adjust the stroke of the arm when it go down so it won't go so low? I have browsed through my manuals and there is a procedure on how to align the sensor but I just couldn't find anything about the arm.
    OK....I'll bite
    --- have you got the correct tip in the holder ?

There has to be a reason why the arm is not correct, like someone doing "chin-ups" on it, a crunch, etc

You say you've aligned the turret, so if a drill / ID holder bore is on centre line of the spindle, & X offset is zero....they are true to each other
    - at the same setting, with a pointed tool..... is the Q-setter pads now on centre ??

I think adjustment stop is inside the swing-down pivot area
    - after any adjusting, you would need to do a "grid shift" to have the tools set offsets correctly

Hey superman thanks for the reply. Yes the ID holder is in center of spindle with the x offset zero. The Q setter pad is way below. The center drill (vertical) I'm using to check it is right at the upper edge of the pad.

. The center drill (vertical) I'm using to check it is right at the upper edge of the pad.
    Vertical ?..... Hang on....back up ....a right-angle live tooling ?? yes

Is a center drill (Horizontal) , online with the Q-setter ?? yes/no ? this is what you need to adjust the setter to center on. ( touch face to be square & perpendicular )
    - your live toolholder is adjustable ( no guarantee that it is correct to that pocket ).....should be 2 grubscrews to make the tool pivot to put it on the centre

Yes it's vertical tool I use for quick checking as it's easier to see looking straight to the chuck, than using horizontal tool and ducking to see from below. the touch pads are ok less than .005mm difference end to end. It's the height of the arm that i need to adjust.

It's below the tool tip on both horizontal and vertical tools.

It's below the tool tip on both horizontal and vertical tools.
    I'm glad that BOTH tools agree that the setter is out of alignment
    - have you any ideas why the setter is misaligned ??

adjust setter to correct height, indicate the touch face is square/parallel to the axes, then it needs to be calibrated ( to put the correct offsets into the registers )

I'm not sure on how this q setter arm got misaligned. I used to run this machine when it was bought new but I had to transfer to an old macturn due to workload. The machine had a major crash not long ago by another operator, he made a toolchange while the turret is right beside the chuck and so the turret got misaligned. A service guy fixed and aligned the turret and the machine was in running condition. Lately I had to go back to this machine and I'm not satisfied with the alignment so I asked my boss to have 1 day to re-align the turret and steadyrest, check everything. I usually do long drilling/gun drilling in this machine so I want to get it right.

I'm not sure on how this q setter arm got misaligned. I used to run this machine when it was bought new but I had to transfer to an old macturn due to workload. The machine had a major crash not long ago by another operator, he made a toolchange while the turret is right beside the chuck and so the turret got misaligned. A service guy fixed and aligned the turret and the machine was in running condition. Lately I had to go back to this machine and I'm not satisfied with the alignment so I asked my boss to have 1 day to re-align the turret and steadyrest, check everything. I usually do long drilling/gun drilling in this machine so I want to get it right.
    Service guy didn't do the complete job
    - probably just aligned the head true to where it ended up at, then aligned the turret.......ignored the setter completely

Is the Y axis at centre when referenced?

When our 2600ly had a very similar crash it moved the reference point in Y off centre

If you reference the Y and bring a face drilling driven box to X0. And use a dti on the chuck it should read the same all the way around when the chuck is rotated by hand.

If it doesnt and the Y axis reference is out then its a quick easy fix

I have a very similar issue on a Lynx 220. Our Doosan tech send me an adjustment procedure to align the arm. We had actually had the arm down and crashed a tool into it. You can pretty much adjust that arm any way. However I still cannot get mine perfect like I like it.

uperez there is a fix ,on the box that the q-setter is mounted , there is a round part on the top on that box with three screws that take a 3mm allen wrench remove the screws and remove the round cap and you will see 2 set screws with back nuts on each, the one on the left is the one you need it moves the arm up and down( in the same direction as it would move when you pull the arm down ) and the one on the right moves it in the "X" axis up and down . Anyway the one on the left is the one you need to adjust . I did this not too long ago I had to realign the turret and reset the "X" home pos. and this made the tool higher than the q-setter . All I did was brought a tool up to the q-setter like I was gonna touch it off and moved the set screw in and out until it was in the center of the pad on the q-setter . I hope this helps