586,062 active members*
4,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Program / ram size

I have a centurian 6. Making some programs in Bobcad an saving to floppy to transfer to my machine. When loading the file my system faulted and h problem seems to be memory size.
    File was 223K bits and when checking the RAM seems to be 127K bits.

Can I make the RAM bigger? Is it more chips or allocation of memory?

Re: Program / ram size

There are several ways to increase the amount of memory available to store programs.

The cheapest way is to load the program into the virtual drive (RAM drive) and DNC-Run it from there. That technique is already available to you without anything additional.

The next cheapest/easiest way is to add a Hard Drive and store your programs there. I used to install lots of spinning HDDs but now I will only use an IDE to CF chip adapter. If you are comfortable working with computers, you can find the adapters and the Compact Flash chips on E-Bay, just get the industrial duty CF chip. If you aren't, contact SportyBob for his CF kit. The set-up is relatively simple and Cent6 runs DOS 6.22 so you can get up to a 2gb CF chip. Configure the CMOS to recognize the HDD and the PATH.DAT file to point to the CF for the Parts Directory.

You could install a NIC card in the computer and connect up to a network. You could then run everything directly from the network, not recommended but possible. This would also require you install a HDD to boot from and load the drivers for the DOS Network Client.

You could upgrade your computer with a Single Board Computer card. This will come with the CF chip and has the NIC built-in, although you will still need to load drivers and configure it .

Lastly, (and my least preferred solution), you could send the NCB card to Milltronics to have it fully populated with memory chips. This won't gain that much more space, but maybe enough.

I recommend the CF HDD option.

Re: Program / ram size

Thanks for that ZZZZZ.
    Today, played with it a bit more. Made the program only 73K and it did the same thing. Changed the program again to only 14K and the program loads and runs. Changed again to 20K and it runs. This does not make sense. The machine has no programs on it of any size. Is there a program size limitation?