587,517 active members*
2,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

producing 3D text

I am using Autocad Inventor and I am having problems producing 3D text in "Gothic G" text. As seen in the attached picture on the left, I can produce the text in “Tahoma” text but when I go through the same procedure with the Gothic G text I get the following error message after trying to extrude the text in the “Model” window:

“Could not build this extrusion
    Self- intersecting loop found in this profile. Remove the intersection by adding a sketch point at the curve intersections or by changing non-profile geometry to constructive geometry"

I have no idea what this message is telling me to do.

I would like to use the Gothic G text for some applicaitons. So I either need to find a way to do it in Autocad or find another CAD program that can do this. The parts the text will be going on are not complicated so the CAD program does not have to be advanced.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoma.jpg   gothic G.jpg  

It may be trying to tell you that your 2D letters overlap somewhere. Try increasing the space between letters.

Mike

letter spacing

Unfortunately, the text options in Autocad Inventor 2012 in this function are limited and there is no direct choice on the spacing of the words or letters. Other than the standard spacing between the letters and words that the program automaticfally gives, there is an "All Around" option that alows the text to be fit to the whole circle.

I have tried several different configurations of text and also arcs of circles already. However I still remain unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by matsci1 View Post
    Unfortunately, the text options in Autocad Inventor 2012 in this function are limited and there is no direct choice on the spacing of the words or letters. Other than the standard spacing between the letters and words that the program automaticfally gives, there is an "All Around" option that alows the text to be fit to the whole circle.

I have tried several different configurations of text and also arcs of circles already. However I still remain unsuccessful.
    You might want to look at Vectrics V-carve Pro, It can do text on a arc or line or curve. And you can modify the text spacing or shape of the text. It is about $600.00 US. It may fit your needs for the whole project. You can generate your G-code internal to the program. Later you could upgrade to Aspire which has full 3D shape editing capability.
    VCarve Pro

Mike

The issue you are describing is an issue with the font.. You will have to clean up some bad areas.. The suggestion is to "explode the text" from a text block to construction geometry (sorry, I dont have the app to direct this)

Then, when you extrude the texts, you can find where the culprits lay.. (zoom in really close)

It does seem to be a font issue....works fine for one font and not the other. Also, the help resources that I have tried frpom Autocad to this point have not been sucessful in in explaining what "Constructive Geometry" is or how do I change something to it. Also the letter I sent to the help team that sent me an answer before went unanswered.

I think the word you are searching for is "construction Geometry".. Try that in your help file or google search.. It converts your line types from one to the other.. Possibly a right clcik and look for "construction" as a option selection.

Hi Burrman,

I looked up "Construction Geometry" in the help files. There seems to be quite a bit that tells you about what it is but I did not see anything direct that tells you how to use it...just that it is there. Also I did not find anything in a right click "Options" box that gives any hints to it. It will probably take some time to read all this stuff to get to the point.

Thank you BurrMan,

At first glance, it looked quite interesting. I will read through it later in detail when I get more time.