587,523 active members*
3,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Power supply, regenerative brake, capacitor bank?

Power supply, regenerative brake, capacitor bank?

Does anyone recognize this or the schematic? It has a part no AB437-1 and I believe it is an Allen Bradley product. The schematic is the best I can come up with, it has 3 connectors on the front, but only 2 are used. It is possible the negative buss bar on the capacitors was used to connect to as there is an unused hole in it. Any help would be nice.

I got it off ebay to use the parts but I may be able to use it as is as a regen brake if that is what it is. Thanks, Paul
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

2200uF/400v + 2200uF/400v = 4400uF/400v.
    You can't add the voltage. Only the capacitance.
    From top to bottom you get 4400/2=2200uf at 800v
    It is a way of achieving 2200uF at double the voltage rating on cap.
    The time constant for the discharge is around 3 seconds.

The RC network across the diode is to protect it during the reverse recovery time of diode, which indicates it is being used to snub inductive spikes having both positive and negative polarity.
    During reverse recovery time, (as the voltage on the diode is reversed), the diode looks like a short circuit.
    The RC limits the reverse recovery spike current, by bypassing it and dissipating in the 3.6 ohm resistor (11/3=3.6)

It looks like a circuit to catch and discharge high energy inductive spike as used in traction equipment.
    An instance of this is a line inductor in series with a pantograph, to 600vDC overhead.
    When the pantograph bounces off the overhead, the energy still stored in the line inductor dissipates in this circuit.

It is more likely for the above purpose, and would depend on you regeneration problems as to what you really need.
    It is a 2 terminal device that is used on a DC line filter inductor.

Use the parts, maybe, but in it's present form not much good for other than it's intended use.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for the help, its set up for a much higher voltage than I need to snub, but the parts will work for a couple of things or I will re-wire it for a lower voltage. Thanks again for the help!
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)