587,547 active members*
3,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Polygonal Turning

Anybody can tell me if a PUMA 230 with Fanuc 18i can do polygonal turning. Is there any parameter i have to change or it's a Fanuc Option ?

Thank's (group)

Luc

I hate to ask but what is "Polygonal Turning"?

The turning of polygons are machining of any shape that has equal sides e.g. squares hexagons etc. Like what was machined on capstan lathes with a cam operated nutbox 30+ years ago

Quote Originally Posted by The Puma Man
    The turning of polygons are machining of any shape that has equal sides e.g. squares hexagons etc. Like what was machined on capstan lathes with a cam operated nutbox 30+ years ago
    The Puma Man;

Now you will have someone ask what a cam operated nutbox is. Did you operate a capstan with this ability? Herbert possibly?

Theoretically it would be possible to do this on a CNC lathe because the problem is not any more difficult than rigid tapping but I have no idea if it has ever been implemented.

it's in my fanuc manual somewhere. I'll get back

I did use a capstan with this attachment in my apprenticeship, but that was 40 years ago can’t remember the capstan make though.It was used for turning stainless bolts for b.a.c which is now Airbus UK

Polygonal turning is an optional extra on the puma 450 with fanuc 18t so it might be possible on the 230 with fanuc 18i as long as it has a driven toolpost on the turret, i.e.you can drive an endmill in the toolpost. On the 450 it's a matter of having this facility and finding the Polygonal parameter and turning it on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Puma Man
    Polygonal turning is an optional extra on the puma 450 with fanuc 18t so it might be possible on the 230 with fanuc 18i as long as it has a driven toolpost on the turret, i.e.you can drive an endmill in the toolpost. On the 450 it's a matter of having this facility and finding the Polygonal parameter and turning it on.
    If you are using live tooling on the turret it is not really turning; it is milling with spindle orientation.

Now, now then! This is according to the Fanuc manual and a cnc instructor I spoke to. But thinking about it just because you cut an outside diameter with a boring head on a mill you wouldn’t necessarily call that turning, at least I would it. Anyhow thanks for the input it all gives the brain a tingle!

Check 7600 thru 7641 those are all of the polygon turning parameters on a Fanuc 18I if you have a fax number I can copy the pages and fax them to you. Just send me an E-mail and I can do that on Monday.

Bluesman

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman
    Check 7600 thru 7641 those are all of the polygon turning parameters on a Fanuc 18I if you have a fax number I can copy the pages and fax them to you. Just send me an E-mail and I can do that on Monday.

Bluesman
    Oh yae as far as it being an option that I am not sure of but I am sure that the Polygon Turning comes with the live tooling option that you bought with the machine. Now I am going by our Mori's of couse maybe Daewoe might soak ya another few bucks for it. But I do have a list of 9000 option parameters I have come to own I will search at home and see if I have that one.

Bluesman

I thought you needed live tooling for polygon turning. If you have live tooling you will have a C axis. Machining in X and C together will produce the same result.
    Alan B

Give this a try:

9935.1 Polygon turning
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Polygonal Turning is signifigantly different that 3 axis (live tooled) lathe operations. With polygonal turning , a standard turning tool is rotated while the spindle is turning to create a polygon such as a square or hex. The shape is not however "true" , in effect a square will actually look more like 4 slight radi as viewed from the front. Live tooled of 3-4 axis machines will generate as accurate of a milled surface as a maill would.

Here is a quick video of polygon turning for anybody wondering how it works.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3259&q=tsugami

Out of curiosity, to do hexagon milling on a lathe, which parameters do you need to set. I have a Hardinge 18T Fanuc control machine, with live tooling. Or can anyone provide a simple program that will do lets say a 20 mm across flat hexagon. Also does the spindle need to be full C axis or just B axis with incremental turns?

Parameters are 7600 thru 7641 on an 18I which should be what you have, And you need a fuly functioning C axis to do this. If all you have is an index head then you do not have the Polygon option. But I think the G code is G112 to turn it on and G113 to turn it off.(Check your documentation) Once you go into the G112 then just program X and C like you would a mill using C for the Y axis. It has been 7 years since I have programed our SL25MC but as far as I can remember it was quite simple as long as remember once you enter Polygon then C is your Y axis

Bluesman

so In essence polygonal turning times a tool with a seperated flute geometry with feed making a shape based on velocity of said tool vs rotational speed of the part?

very cool. I want one!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    so In essence polygonal turning times a tool with a seperated flute geometry with feed making a shape based on velocity of said tool vs rotational speed of the part?

very cool. I want one!

In a Nut Shell...............Yup..... But it has more to do with Time and Distance of said Rotational axis vs X Axis and not so much the Tool Itself
    Real freakin neat to watch

I wounder if there is a program that would generate the requiered feeds and speeds and spindle RPM for you for a regulare Lathe that dosn't come equiped with this option.

I would think there is an easy way to calc this out. Now if it hadn't been so long since college my fuzy brain could probably do it. But I already have way too many hobbies to takle another math question.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Page 1 of 2 12