587,646 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PCMCIA Card

PCMCIA Card

Hello,
    I have a Fanuc 21i-T control on my elite 8/51, are there any experts here that might guide me to using the interface properly. I am using a sandisk adapter with a CF card and I have succesfully punched a program to the card and transferred to the PC. The problem is I get a card reader error when I try to read into the control. Maybe there are some settings I am not aware of? Also I notice I will have to address the issues of LF and CR translation. I can't even read the diectory at this point.
    I was using RS232 but the card interface looks alot cleaner and I would be able to transfer files to any PC without communication problems.

Thanks for any helpful hints,

Brian

You need to change you I/O (input/output) channel.
    Its 4 for a 16i, not sure for a 21 , but your book will have all that info.

PEACE

I also had this problem once, I had to reformat the card from my laptop.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Flashcard warning

I have found that if I use a flashcard such as Sandisk for anything other than dedicating one to Fanuc Control use, the machine will not read it. If I use a flashcard to move a word document or an excell file or an email from one computer to another, that card will never again work on a Fanuc control. I went through 3 compact flash chips over a period of time before I figured this out, so I bought one and dedicated it to Fanuc file transfers only. The laptop and the Fanuc will format the card, but the Fanuc won't read it. Neither Fanuc or Sandisk can tell me why this is. The cards still work fine for computer to computer file transfers. Also, I have caught several programmers who unplug flashcards and USB memory sticks from computers without first clicking the "safe to remove hardware" icon on the lower right tool bar. You do have to set I/O channel = 4 to use flashcard slot.

From my experience with them, all works ok provided you are using a FAT32 PC, but if you transfer files to or from the card using an NTFS (WinXP) system you may have problems. It is not isolated to sandisk either, I have seen it happen with various cards, including Kodak. Maybe the the FAT on the memory card is not true FAT16/32 after WinXp has had its way with it, therefore causing problems with Fanuc readers. BTW, I usually format the cards on the machine, rather than on a PC.

regards, Oz