587,414 active members*
3,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 26 2101112131422

PathPilot on Novakon

Yes what he said ^^^^
    Units don't matter it's steps per unit - so u could pick 1km as your unit if u want

Re: PathPilot on Novakon

Good to know ! I was worry too about that inch / mm config as I will try my migration to pathpilot in mm . Since I pick up my pinout in mach3 to match a driver to pathpilot then it is possible to recover all the settings of mach3 to copy it in pathpilot ? In thus case pathpilot will be same properties as my mach3 setup that is perfect setting up ?so no need to play with pathpilot setting to find the good one to match ?

Envoyé de mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk

I might be wrong - but you need to make sure - yes linuxcnc you can confgure your ini in inches or mm or whatever - but pathpilot is not exactly linuxcnc. It does a lot of stuff in the GUI that isn't in linuxcnc. Just knowing that there isn't a mm/inch configs in the source of pathpilot make me think that setting up a mm ini may cause some odd issues.

Next issue, I have my MD-1200 on out pin 17 that is output #1 on my BOB, but from what i can se on the PCW_MESA bit file none om my BOB outputs are configured, and PathPilot says the same when i try to configure it?

bob:
    Output#1 LPT port pin 17
    Output#2 LPT port pin 1
    Output#3 [charge pump] LPT port pin 14
    Output#4 [analog output] LPT port pin 16

.bit file
    *IO Connections for P3
    Pin# I/O Pri. func Sec. func Chan Pin func Pin Dir

1 0 IOPort None
    14 1 IOPort StepGen 4 Step (Out)
    2 2 IOPort StepGen 0 Step (Out)
    15 3 IOPort None
    3 4 IOPort StepGen 0 Dir (Out)
    16 5 IOPort PWMGen 0 PWM (Out)
    4 6 IOPort StepGen 1 Step (Out)
    17 7 IOPort None
    5 8 IOPort StepGen 1 Dir (Out)
    6 9 IOPort StepGen 2 Step (Out)
    7 10 IOPort StepGen 2 Dir (Out)
    8 11 IOPort StepGen 3 Step (Out)
    9 12 IOPort StepGen 3 Dir (Out)
    10 13 IOPort QCount 0 Quad-A (In)
    11 14 IOPort QCount 0 Quad-B (In)
    12 15 IOPort QCount 0 Quad-IDX (In)
    13 16 IOPort None

IO Connections for P2
    Pin# I/O Pri. func Sec. func Chan Pin func Pin Dir

1 17 IOPort None
    14 18 IOPort StepGen 9 Step (Out)
    2 19 IOPort StepGen 5 Step (Out)
    15 20 IOPort None
    3 21 IOPort StepGen 5 Dir (Out)
    16 22 IOPort PWMGen 1 PWM (Out)
    4 23 IOPort StepGen 6 Step (Out)
    17 24 IOPort None
    5 25 IOPort StepGen 6 Dir (Out)
    6 26 IOPort StepGen 7 Step (Out)
    7 27 IOPort StepGen 7 Dir (Out)
    8 28 IOPort StepGen 8 Step (Out)
    9 29 IOPort StepGen 8 Dir (Out)
    10 30 IOPort QCount 1 Quad-A (In)
    11 31 IOPort QCount 1 Quad-B (In)
    12 32 IOPort QCount 1 Quad-IDX (In)
    13 33 IOPort None

17 7 IOPort None
    "None" in the secondary function column means that the pin has no special purpose so can (only)
    be a general purpose input or output

Note that it will be an input until set to output mode in your hal file. I would read the Linuxcnc HAL manual and
    the hostmot2 manual page about setting GPIO modes to understand what needs to be done in your hal file to make
    the output functional

Ok, thanx PCW_MESA, ill try to do that.

That was easy, coolant working now.. Yaya!! then off to the spindle.. on Mach3 controlling it with analog 0-5v from BOB, but it is not very accurate.. any other suggestions for this?

This spindle part looks kinda hairy, i think i need a starting point or something, do not even know where to start, there seems to be a lot involved for this, maybe 0-5 is not the best... if someone have a boring time and want to look at the manual for the motor and give me some starting point i would be really happy.. ill included the manual here.

Brianbonedoc: any words from you regarding spindle setup?

G - I would use the PWM input on your motor controller - rather than the 0-5v. It uses a 500hz-5khz signal which can easily be generated by the mesa. More importantly that's pretty close to what tormach uses in their motor speed control. There are some notes in the .ini file that may guide you better. The tormach ini is pretty well documented so you should be able to figure out what freq to control what.

ok brianbonedoc, that was a good starting point, i will look at that then, thanks again for all help!

I had no luck on the whole evening... i mean, on my spindle driver i have GND, PWM, F/R, S/P, TAP, +5v. +12v but in the .hal file i only found 1 gpio declaration

setp hm2_5i25.0.gpio.005.is_output 1
    net spindle-cw motion.spindle-forward => hm2_5i25.0.gpio.005.out

and that looks like i should connect a regular output from the mesa card, i choose I/O 0 that goes to output 1 on my BOB and then to F/R on spindle driver.
    But then what? there is no more gpio declarations regarding the spindle in the .hal, shouldnt i say something in the hal file what I/O to send PWM to my spindle driver PWM input? how about S/T? nothing else?
    The rest of the spindle setup is just a lot of hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.04. stuff, whatever that is, nothing about pwmgen for example?

If You look at the Python Files it shows that they use 2 Different usb Modules one for spindle one for atc so i Expect that the spindle one is taking care on Speed and Direktion there is an Speed Signal which is not pwm like Common use i Look into the atc Module what they do if i have Time i Look into spindle as well i guess fastest will be get You an arduino with relais Module and Write a sketch which Support your Needs

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

holy ****.. that sounds creepy ! :/

I just spent 2 days on that inclusive learning about Mesa but i didnt mean to scare You -

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ooohh.. i was not happy hearing about this... now i am even more confused.. do not want to buy even more hardware... sounds like i need to go back to Mach3 then after all i havee done...

No no no! You cannot come back across. The bridge is on fire. Keep moving forward. You can do it.
    Lee

hehe, yeah, i know.. its only the spindle that is missing now to be able to start making chips with this 2 year:ish CNC build project of mine.. but i dont know what to do now when i got this news..

You may need a card that drives the spindle like you want.
    I know I have a speed control card on my little mill, but it has a DC motor. It is 2 to 10 input, so works a little better than 0 to 5. It still is not correct at all speed ranges, but I set the lowest and highest to be very close and the ones in between were off as much as a couple hundred RPM's.
    While it works okay for what it is, I am sold on a servo motor for a spindle on a mill.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by geidnert View Post
    I had no luck on the whole evening... i mean, on my spindle driver i have GND, PWM, F/R, S/P, TAP, +5v. +12v but in the .hal file i only found 1 gpio declaration

setp hm2_5i25.0.gpio.005.is_output 1
    net spindle-cw motion.spindle-forward => hm2_5i25.0.gpio.005.out

and that looks like i should connect a regular output from the mesa card, i choose I/O 0 that goes to output 1 on my BOB and then to F/R on spindle driver.
    But then what? there is no more gpio declarations regarding the spindle in the .hal, shouldnt i say something in the hal file what I/O to send PWM to my spindle driver PWM input? how about S/T? nothing else?
    The rest of the spindle setup is just a lot of hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.04. stuff, whatever that is, nothing about pwmgen for example?
    Why dont you use the BOBs 0 to 5V output to control your spindlle speed? the firmware was made specifically to match the BOB, so has a PWM generator on the correct pins for this, anything else will be more awkward

Tormachs hal file is not going to be very close to what you want, so you do have to understand how to get what you want by changing the hal file

Do you have free outputs on the BOB for the other spindle control signals you need? (minimum is spindle on, for/rev is needed for rigid tapping)

The guru has spoken! Geidnert I would do what Peter suggests as he's usually right!

Page 12 of 26 2101112131422