587,442 active members*
3,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

PATHPILOT ENGRAVING

Hi folks.

I thought a thread on your experiences of engraving, especially with PathPilot conversational, would be good.

Please post your knowledge, thoughts and comments.

I start the ball rolling with this video:

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zV80PJd_Q

Re: PATHPILOT ENGRAVING

I do a lot of pp everything including engraving, f360 engraving is kinda aggravating . ..imo.. I use the tormach engraving bits, here

And a 1/16in ball mill

Works great, I have lots more pics. I use pp for 75% of my work.

1/16ball

I did this whole device in pp. No cad/cam .

If you're looking for single stroke fonts. there's a package of Truetype fonts that has been put together for CamBam.
    You can get them here.

I dropped them into the /home/operator/gcode/engraving_fonts directory and PathPilot sees them.
    My PathPilot installation is just an exercise to see if I can make it work with my non-Tormach mill so I can't actually test this

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    If you're looking for single stroke fonts. there's a package of Truetype fonts that has been put together for CamBam.
    You can get them here.

I dropped them into the /home/operator/gcode/engraving_fonts directory and PathPilot sees them.
    My PathPilot installation is just an exercise to see if I can make it work with my non-Tormach mill so I can't actually test this
    I downloaded those fonts, but Sprut 7 does not do well with them from Rhino 4's text function, I have to go back and extrude the letters then use curve from objects to get a curve that will work in Sprut, I finally gave up on them and just use the single line font in Rhino. I liked them because of the diversity, as Rhino only has one single line font.

I dont know if these can be used in PP in the engrave function, I haven tried that.

Edit: I loaded the mecsoft-1 font into Pathpilot fonts file, It engraves OK but it doesnt have the function for single line fonts so some of the letters have a diagonal line across them............so much for that..
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi folks.

I thought a thread on your experiences of engraving, especially with PathPilot conversational, would be good.

Please post your knowledge, thoughts and comments.

I start the ball rolling with this video:

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zV80PJd_Q
    Keen,
    I use a single line font (MecSoft-1) in Rhino 4 for engraving, I will have to check PP to see if it will work in the engrave function.

Edit: I have done some engraving small enough that I need a magnifier to read it.

I also appreciate your video's!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    You can get them here.

Cam bam fonts engrave fine here in PP, it does a double pass though on the same line.......
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Cam bam fonts engrave fine here in PP, it does a double pass though on the same line.......
    Hi Mike - Just to clarify your post: You have loaded the Cam Bam files in to your controller and used them to directly cut single line with the PathPilot conversational?

If so please explain the steps.

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    1/16ball

I did this whole device in pp. No cad/cam .
    Thanks for posting . What are those things?

Keen

My pleasure, I make custom vaporizers. .. Fake Cigarettes haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Mike - Just to clarify your post: You have loaded the Cam Bam files in to your controller and used them to directly cut single line with the PathPilot conversational?

If so please explain the steps.

Keen

CamBam Stick Fonts

Click on the above link and it will bring up the cambam fonts page.

download the fonts to a windows computer, unzip the files.

Then save them or "copy paste" to a usb stick, then use that to transfer the files into pathpilot using the usb port.

select the fonts from the file menu in pathpilot, use "copy to" to transfer them to the fonts file in Pathpilot.

The cutter does make two passes for each line in the character, but seem to work fine for the brief test I did.
    mike sr

Awesome, you guys rock!

I just did it and the preview in pp shows sill the fonts looking the same? They are added in there, but they are all listed right, but they all look the same, Ann I doing something wrong.

It literally was that easy tho, super awesome, almost.

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I just did it and the preview in pp shows sill the fonts looking the same? They are added in there, but they are all listed right, but they all look the same, Ann I doing something wrong.

It literally was that easy tho, super awesome, almost.

They are similar but different, they are all single line, I liked the square one, PP engraving does ok with it, but Rhino does not like them,(wont select all the curves), so I am back to Mecsoft-1 there. I just need to get used to the PP engrave function..
    mike sr

CamBam Stick Fonts

Click on the above link and it will bring up the cambam fonts page.

download the fonts to a windows computer, unzip the files.

Then save them or "copy paste" to a usb stick, then use that to transfer the files into pathpilot using the usb port.

select the fonts from the file menu in pathpilot, use "copy to" to transfer them to the fonts file in Pathpilot.

The cutter does make two passes for each line in the character, but seem to work fine for the brief test I did.
    OK Mike I got this far: I downloaded the Cam Bam Fonts to a folder on my windows computer , they seem to be unzipped,... but they have the 0 and o blacked out? Is that normal?

Keen

OK Mike I got this far: I downloaded the Cam Bam Fonts to a folder on my windows computer , they seem to be unzipped,... but they have the 0 and o blacked out? Is that normal?

Keen
    In the windows preview this is normal.

Just select them all and drag them to your usb stick folder, or copy and paste them to the usb stick, then copy them to the pathpilot font files and you should be good to go.
    mike sr

In the windows preview this is normal.

Just select them all and drag them to your usb stick folder, or copy and paste them to the usb stick, then copy them to the pathpilot font files and you should be good to go.
    Thanks Mike. OK a quick trial and number one (the square ish one) seems to run fine. I will try and trial some more tomorrow.

Looking good!....many thanks!

Keen

Thanks Mike. OK a quick trial and number one (the square ish one) seems to run fine. I will try and trial some more tomorrow.

Looking good!....many thanks!

Keen
    Have fun.........
    mike sr

Thanks...I did. here is a video of it:

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxWU7SlCx0

I tried using PathPilot for engraving but it would not do small .15" lettering so I bought StickFont V2 for $35. It generated the gcode for the letters / numbers and I than hand coded for positioning the lettering. The picture enclosed is engraving the end grain of cherry wood puzzle pieces.

Attachment 304864

Page 1 of 2 12