587,600 active members*
4,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner IV with Centurion IV controller - Operational

Partner IV with Centurion IV controller - Operational

1986 Milltronics Partner IV with Centurion IV controller.

What does one do with an OLD machine that is still in good shape?

The Cent IV was up graded to have RS232 and DNC instead of the old punch card.

I never did figure out how to use the desk top to (drip feed, DNC) the G code line by line to the machine. I saw it done with this machine before I owned it but never did figure it out after I got it. I just sent small parts of a larger over a little at a time.
    I was told that the machine is decked out with as much Memory as it can hold. Well as much as it will hold by the standards of 1986.

I had to get together with a Tech from MLC CAD to make a post for the machine. We did it so I was able to send programs to the machine right from MasterCam thru the RS232 port.

I always wished it had a ATC tool changer. I had heard that there was one back in the day but it had SOOO many problems there were only a few made.

Anyone else using one of these machines these days?

Thanks,
    SpeedMetal

Centurion IV upgrade

HI,

I have a 1984 Partner IV with Centurion IV control. I got tired of it forgetting its parameters in the middle of a job and other annoying habits.

I am in the process of upgrading the controls. I kept the power supply, contactors, servo motors, encoders and limit switches. I have installed a Geckodrive G100 controller and G320 servo drives. Currently I am in the process of getting the communication going and testing the hardware.

I am using Mach 3 software from artsoft.

I have replaced the speed control with a Hitachi 200. This enables me to run the machine on single phase.

So far the project has gone OK, a little tedious at times and a few false starts. I have never attempted anything like this before so if I can make it work I believe anyone can.

Since this is a hobby the time taken to make the conversion is less important to me than the cost. So far I have about $1500 invested in the conversion and have been working on it off and on for a couple of months. I think that the education that I am getting in the process is well worth the time and effort that has been expended.

I hope to be fully operational in the near future and expect to post the results.

Same machine

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedMetal View Post
    1986 Milltronics Partner IV with Centurion IV controller.

What does one do with an OLD machine that is still in good shape?

The Cent IV was up graded to have RS232 and DNC instead of the old punch card.

I never did figure out how to use the desk top to (drip feed, DNC) the G code line by line to the machine. I saw it done with this machine before I owned it but never did figure it out after I got it. I just sent small parts of a larger over a little at a time.
    I was told that the machine is decked out with as much Memory as it can hold. Well as much as it will hold by the standards of 1986.

I had to get together with a Tech from MLC CAD to make a post for the machine. We did it so I was able to send programs to the machine right from MasterCam thru the RS232 port.

I always wished it had a ATC tool changer. I had heard that there was one back in the day but it had SOOO many problems there were only a few made.

Anyone else using one of these machines these days?

Thanks,
    SpeedMetal
    I have the same machine, but I have never been able to get a PC to talk with it. How is it configured to do that?

I have MasterCam software the will comunicate with just about any machine as long as it's configured right.

When I got my machine I got several versions of mastercam. I think in Mastercam 4 there was a post prosessor called CENT IV. Well I us mastercam 9.1 and there was not a post for that version.
    I had help from the mastercam rep. and we took the Cent IV file from the MC V4 and modified it to work with MC 9.1 and the Cent IV controller I have.

The Centurion 4 controller realy sucks as far as memory goes and using RS-232 cable. I never could send a complete program that was more than 22K of memory. I have to cut the G-code in to pieces and send a little at a time to the machine memory.

Before I got the machine it belonged to a friend of mine and I did see him usung the DNC type of g-code transfer. I never could get it to work with the DNC. This is were the desktop computer drip feeds the g-code data line for line to the mill as the mill runs through the lines.

This machine is in realy good shape. I was thinking about selling this one sense I've got the other three newer ones now.
    The machine was upgraded with a box that alows it to talk to the desk top computers. RS-232 and DNC Ports.
    I've got a bunch of tool holders, the CRT was replaced just before I got the machine, the ball screws were also replaced before I got the machine.
    I made a dozzen or so parts with the machine. Cuts nice.

All these parts were made with the Partner IV / Centurion IV controller W/RS-232

I own the same vintage Centurion IV and it has the KOMO tool changer. This is the toolchanger for the CAT 40 spindle with retention knobs. They also had a toolchanger
    option from Fadel (the same company that made CNC mills) that used the NMTB 40 taper
    with no retention knob, it used a drawer bar. The Fadel toolchanger was the same as used on Bandit CNC's of the same era. Both toolchangers were primitive compared to todays, but I would have to say the Fadel was better and more reliable than the KOMO.
    The KOMO being somewhat faster. That being said, I haven't used the KOMO toolchanger
    in about 4 years. Totally air operated, it just started to become to unreliable, dropping
    tools etc.
    I never have had a problem with the RS-232, but I have never tried to dripfeed.
    I still use the machine for specific jobs and it is very accurite. I wish they had done a better job on the spindle socket, I don't know if it was chromed or hardened but it does
    not seem to be either. Mine has a 6000 rpm spindle with the Yaskawa drive and I do drill
    a lot of small holes with it. It's not used daily but it's paid for and i'll keep running it until it dies or I need the shop space.
    I don't suppose you would like to pass along that Post processor?

regards,
    Ben

I have the same version of MasterCam 9.1 but have been unable to get the post to work in my control. 1988 partner 5 with a Centurion 4 control.
    Would you be willing to share that Cent. 4 post??? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff

Milltronics Partner III w/Centurion IV controller

I have Milltronics Partner III with a Centurion IV controller. I bought the machine back in 1986. I've been using it all these years with just the programs I enter into the controller. I would really like to get a post to be able to send from my pc to rs232. I can't afford to pay to get one or have somebody help me get one. I would gladly trade work for that kind of help. Thanks in advance for any response I get!
    mrmoon

MRMOON,

You don't need to spend any money other than the cost of the cable that connects your
    computer to the RS-232 port. Any terminal program can upload/download programs via
    the RS-232 port. There are also freeware CNC editors and communication programs.
    Parameter #86 configures your RS-232 port.
    If you search through the Milltronics posts you will find a 2010 post where I walked a guy through the process.

Parameters

I have a Partner 5 with a Centurion 4 controler and I can't get it to run because the backup battery is dead and the machine lost it's parameters. It has a tape reader and a parameters tape, but the tape is dammaged. Do ou know where I can get a manuel for the controler? Milltronics is usless they don't support the Centurion 4 anymore. I would like info on Errors and the machine parameters.

Centurion 4 manual

I don't have a manual for my controller. I've been lucky to still be able to load the parameters with the tape that came with the machine. I've been able to re-thread the tape when the tape comes off the reel most of the time. I don't know if that's your problem with the tape being damaged. Get back with me and I'll see if I can help you somehow.
    John Luna
    [email protected]

I made a mistake sayin I didn't have a manual, I was thinking of the parameters which I only have on tape. I do have a manual for programming my Partner III. I can make a copy and send it to you. Get back with me and we'll see what we can do.

The error codes on this control are pretty useless, they really don't tell you or pin point the error. I have a parameter list that I can email you and a parameter file you can load into the machine via the RS-232 and your pc. The DC 100A data cartridges (tape) can still be purchased, do a Google search. Once purchased you have to move the tape by hand until you pass 2 sets of end of the tape holes in the tape, then it's ready to go.

The Battery can be purchase from McMaster-Carr, it's a "D"size 3.6 volt, part # 6951K12.
    Other than ebay searches, I have no idea where to find a manual.
    My email address is [email protected].
    If you email me, tell me what kind spindle you have, ie Variable Speed, etc.
    My parameters are setup for the 6000 RPM Yaskawa drive so you may have to edit
    those parameters but no worry I have the values that need to be input.

Ben Colby
    COBRO Mfg.

FYI, there is currently a box of 5, DC 100A data cartridges on Ebay for $62.00 with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_e_c View Post
    I have a Partner 5 with a Centurion 4 controller and I can't get it to run because the backup battery is dead and the machine lost it's parameters. It has a tape reader and a parameters tape, but the tape is damaged. Do ou know where I can get a manuel for the controller? Milltronics is useless they don't support the Centurion 4 anymore. I would like info on Errors and the machine parameters.
    I know your pain I just got the same machine running or was when I bought it . mine dose not have the tape and i have the parameters and error codes . If you have a fax or a mailing addy , I could copy and send you the copy . I'm trying to get mine up and running but I got to convert to single phase . I got the control turned on but I get er03 grid when I try to grid I get er04 es . So I thought I screwed something up when separating the control ,and like an dyslexic dolt , I powered the common and the line on the 115 circuit . Lucky for me I only toasted the power supply I got 1 coming . cnc is new to me but with the work load of repetitious work it's time to learn it . nice to know there is a milltronics based forum here

Steve