587,672 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Oxy. Acetylene vs propane and gas

Oxy. Acetylene vs propane and gas

If you had to replace the Acetylene bottle on your cutting torch what would be better, propane or gasoline?
    Propane appears to be just a tip change, but you use more oxygen.
    How does the cut quality compare?
    Thanks,
    Colin

I used to run a burn table and we ran propane and some derivative of it. I had to switch over to acetylene for a few days while our tank was empty and I couldn't get a good burn to save my life.

Only big difference between acetylene and propane is that acetylene burns alot hotter (i believe), and a single peice tip, so using it on a hand torch is perfect. With propane you'll need to get the proper tips and, at least with the burn table, I had a diferent tip for almost each thickness of plate.

I have used Acet., Propane, Mapp. on a machine torch I much opreferr Acet. over any of the others. Mainly on account of preheat time before pierce. I can get any of them to cut cleanly with next to no dross left behind. It is a total learning curve between them though. With a machine torch I have found even the slightest adjustments can make a large difference in cut quality. For me anyway, a 3 line torch with the mix oxygen on a seperate regulator from the pierce/burn also makes for much better consistency in cuts.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!