586,262 active members*
3,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Onto the next project

So I have my G0704 mill converted to CNC using Hoss's plans and have made a few parts now. On Tuesday I am going to order a G0602 lathe and start converting it too. After completing (well sort of) the G0704 conversion I am almost thinking of ordering BD tools conversion kit. I know it would be faster but also more expensive so I'm on the fence. What are the opinions of others who have already gone down this path?

Re: Onto the next project

Billy aka BD Tools does make a nice and convenient kit. I believe ArizonaVideo (a member here) makes a very nice kit too. IIRC at about the same price point.

I believe this is a link to the kit Arizona makes. Milling Accessories | Just another WordPress weblog
    It is a member of the zone if not Arizona. It is a very nice looking kit.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Fastest1 that link goes to a G0704 CNC conversion kit. It looks really nice but I already have my G0704 converted. Does ArizonaVideo make a kit to do the G0602? If so I would be very interested in seeing it. Anyone have a link?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

Cowanrg That is Billy's (BD Tools) kit

PH, I am sorry I misread your original post. I was thinking you were looking at options for the 0704.

No worries Fastest1.

With the conversion of a G0602 to CNC and getting rid of the compound, what is the largest QCTP I can go with? The Phase II AXA, BXA and CXA are on sale at Enco right now.

So I'm just gonna try to figure out the CNC conversion myself and save the money. I did buy a Phase 2 BXA QCTP almost thinking I should have waited to see IF I could fit a CXA. Not like I needed it tomorrow If anyone has some pointers on the G0602 conversion I would be glad to hear them!

I don't have any pointers but I'm at the same spot you are, finished with the mill, have a G0602 to convert. The BD tools kit looks nice. The pictures on ebay make it look like he's using the stock compound. What is the benefit of ditching the stock compound? I bought an AXA kit for the lathe and it works great stock.

Quote Originally Posted by library View Post
    I don't have any pointers but I'm at the same spot you are, finished with the mill, have a G0602 to convert. The BD tools kit looks nice. The pictures on ebay make it look like he's using the stock compound. What is the benefit of ditching the stock compound? I bought an AXA kit for the lathe and it works great stock.
    My understanding of the benefit is that with the CNC conversion the compound is not needed and by removing it you have a more stable/accurate perch for your tooling. I ended up buying the Phase 2 BXA QCTP thinking it's more mass and has a larger bolt to secure it with. I'm thinking even a CXA could have fit but did not see one in my searches so I stuck with the BAX. Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm so green at this. Seven months ago is when I started down this rabbit hole and have no previous machining or metal working knowledge.

So I've been chewing on my electronic choices for this lathe. I was going to use what I have on my G0704 but am thinking I can go lighter duty. Tell me if this works and what the downside may be. 495oz steppers (3.5 amps), KL-4042D drivers (36 volts, up to 4.2 amps), C10 BOB and a 36v/9.7a power supply. I have the C10 already in my G0704. Thinking I will buy a C11 BoB, put it in my G0704 to replace the existing C10 to use in the lathe. I hope to some day do a turret system but that is down the road.

So I need to get some pictures going here. I got my G0602 last Thursday and spent the weekend making a bench. I used 2"x2"x3/16" square tubing and 2"x6"x3/16" slats where the lathe sits on the bench. Broke in the bearings today along with some cleanup of all the grease.

Two questions.
    1) How far do you tare apart the 3 jaw chuck to clean it up?
    2) I haven't bought any cutting tools as I plan on converting to CNC and already bought a BXA QCTP. My question here is how do I determine how high of a block I should use to mount the QCTP? I already removed the stock tool post to clean up and to see how I can mount the riser block for the BXA QCTP. Mounting it seems pretty straight forward other than what I shoot for as far as height. I don't know squat about lathes other than what I've seen on Youtube and read on-line.

Thanks for any input. PS I have a G0704 that is converted already so I can use it to machine the riser block.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatohead908 View Post
    So I've been chewing on my electronic choices for this lathe. I was going to use what I have on my G0704 but am thinking I can go lighter duty. Tell me if this works and what the downside may be. 495oz steppers (3.5 amps), KL-4042D drivers (36 volts, up to 4.2 amps), C10 BOB and a 36v/9.7a power supply. I have the C10 already in my G0704. Thinking I will buy a C11 BoB, put it in my G0704 to replace the existing C10 to use in the lathe. I hope to some day do a turret system but that is down the road.
    You may want to look at the MX3660 for the lathe. Between the two KL-4042D drivers and C11 BOB, your within a few $. And you'll have spindle control for down the road, 4 inputs that run at 12V for limit\home switches, a third driver for a turret system down the road all in a very tidy package.

just a thought,
    Andrew

Get the highest voltage power supply your controller will run.
    I run 48v's on the G540's and HCNC Pro. IIRC about 52 on the MX3660.

I would install the QCTP where it is centered on the center line of the spindle. The individual tool holders have height adjustment nuts.

In regards to clean up, go as far as you feel comfortable. You will become more familiar with the machine as you use it. Just make sure everything has a coat of oil and machine away. Not all of us will experience the same shortcomings in our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Get the highest voltage power supply your controller will run..
    No, more is NOT better! There is an optimal supply voltage for every stepper motor, determined by:

Voltage = SquareRoot( 32 * MotorInductance)

Lower voltage => Reduced torque, and reduced high-RPM performance
    Higher voltage => Increased motor heat, with NO benefit in performance

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    You may want to look at the MX3660 for the lathe. Between the two KL-4042D drivers and C11 BOB, your within a few $. And you'll have spindle control for down the road, 4 inputs that run at 12V for limit\home switches, a third driver for a turret system down the road all in a very tidy package.

just a thought,
    Andrew
    Andrew, The C10 BOB has already been paid for and is being used in my Mill. I want the C11 for the Mill along with an ESS. Later I can upgrade the Lathe BOB. Only so much cash flow to do what I want in steps.

Also the KL-4042D take a max input voltage of 36volts. My KL-5056D take a max of 45volts so that PS unit is turned down a hair. No reason to but a 48 volt PS just to turn it down 25%.

Thanks for the input on the QCTP. I've never used one and am not sure if mounting it center line of post to center line of work piece was right. It makes sense but also thinking most cutting surfaces will be near centerline or above in relation to the tool post so maybe having the post centerline slightly lower is more optimal? I'm very green at all this so I am trying to analyze chit I don't fully know!!

So I am sure the electronics will work together. I guess the real question is will 495oz be enough to not stall? OH wait....the motors will not have 495oz with 36 volts will it? I will look at the specs! That maybe the new deciding factor. I want to minimize the chance of stalling or loosing steps.

Just looked up the specs. It says the motor runs on 5.1 volts. So what I said above is irrelevant since the controller apparently steps the voltage down?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...100-30-4BM.pdf

Don't know if a 48v ps can go down as low as 36v anyway.
    The voltage doesn't determine the 495's torque, amperage does, voltage will affect the speed. I believe I and others have mentioned the gecko formula for determining the best voltage to run the stepper at, square root of the inductance x 32. For the one you linked to it requires 84 volts for best performance, at 36 volts it'll be sluggish.
    How much are you saving with 36v, 4042D and 495's?
    381 oz/in with 48v and g540 are plenty for running the lathe by the way and will give good performance.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss, I would save a little over $150 vs. going with 570oz steppers, 5056D's and 48v PS. You lost me at "sluggish" so I won't be going that route! Thank you. So much to learn!

So I just purchased this kit 2-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (48V/7.3A 570 oz in KL-5056 Stepper Driver) | Automation Technology Inc . The steppers/drivers maybe over kill but I know they work well because I have them on my mill. I have a piece of 1.5"x3"x48" aluminum that I'm going to cut off a piece from and make my mount for the BXA tool post over the next few days. I need to start taking pictures. I'm going to use this thread to show my progress of converting to CNC. I'm pretty green and will ask for advice and hopefully others can point me in the right direction. I'm not going to buy a kit to do the conversion since I have a mill and this will help me learn.

Does anyone have the diameter of this circular bolt pattern?

Attachment 252012

I'm starting to convert my 602 to CNC with ball screws and need to make a bearing holder to support the ball screw end.

Attachment 252014