586,058 active members*
4,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > okuma mb56va tapping

okuma mb56va tapping

hi, i have a question about the okuma mb-56va machine and the rigid tapping function of it. is there supposed to be a delay at the start of every hole to tap on that specific machine? we have a year 2003 machine that does have a short delay at the start of every hole on the tapping cycle and was wondering if that delay is still present on the newer models like the 2004 and 2005 versions? the reason im asking is because we want to do mostly tapping on that newer model we are looking at.

thanks

Re: okuma mb56va tapping

how do you detected the delay?

visually, its very obviously there. on machines that don't have one the tapping cycle starts right after repositioning.

i'd say there's about a 1 to 2 second delay..

Change the G284 (rigid tapping) to G84 ( normal tapping ) & see if the dwell issue persists

- put up your section of code, it may be something simple

If the dwell issue is just with the G284 code, you could utilize a T/C tapping holder with the G84,
    --- it would allow a bit of flex in tapping, a softer stop/reverse at depth, which should lead to less snapping of taps.

Attachment 255708Attachment 255710here's a photo of the gcode being used. we were actually using the g84 tapping cycle but okuma has a feature where you can set the g84 cycles so they utilize ridged tapping. i will also include a photo with the parameter settings that allow this. but i would also like to mention that we tried the g284 cycle as well which made no difference.

ok, we ran a program using the g84 cycle with okuma's sync parameter set to float and the delay/dwell was gone. which makes me wonder if there's a parameter somewhere that could be changed to remove the dwell. also would like to mention that there was a c axis installed when we got the machine which we removed. could maybe have something to do with the c axis and parameters or settings of the fourth c axis?

Quote Originally Posted by dec11ad View Post
    ok, we ran a program using the g84 cycle with okuma's sync parameter set to float and the delay/dwell was gone. which makes me wonder if there's a parameter somewhere that could be changed to remove the dwell. also would like to mention that there was a c axis installed when we got the machine which we removed. could maybe have something to do with the c axis and parameters or settings of the fourth c axis?

C axis ?? ( rotation around Z )
    usually the 4th axis is ...A ( around X ) on these types of machines
    - I do understand you can set G84 to do G284. but, are you using all codes that are available ?
    What is your OSP control ?

Can't see enough of your code......you have only shown a spot drill cycle ( G81/G82) ... not a tapping code
    Do you switch to feed/rev ( G95) for tapping ?

I don't see any use of the M53/M54 code. ( M53 = return to the R value, M54 return to the Z plane the tool was sitting at before entering the cycle

P.0 ( dwell at depth) is not required as default is zero

Cannot comment on G43 H Z line usage as it is not shown

T16 is staging your next tool ( I assume )

I have seen dwelling occur while using a 4th axis, for clamping/unclamping & so on. ....so it could be related
    - but need to see all the tapping code from toolchange to toolchange

oops, donno what i was thinking😁 here's a pic of the tapping cycle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	255762

here are two vids showing both the ridged tapping and floating tapping cycles https://drive.google.com/folderview?...nM&usp=sharing

we bought the machine used and it was retrofitted from an e100m control to a p100m control

and yes it is a rotory "a" axis

nobody?

we just installed our second mb56va (well wired, not really finished installing) but it seems to have that same delay on the ridgid tapping cycle, well maybe a little less delay but still obviously present. so my guess is that that is how they were built back then cause i couldnt find a different reason or cause..

delete the P0 at the end of the G84 line...
    the P is time delay...

the p0 is not present in that screenshot of the tapping cycle