587,858 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma LC40 has a mind of it's own on movement?

Okuma LC40 has a mind of it's own on movement?

I have an old LC40 we don't use too much except for a few jobs... hasn't been run in a few weeks. I turn it on, load up material, set my Z offset and hit go. Spindle doesn't start, and the tool comes and clips the front of the workpiece.

So I spent an hour messing with it to try and nail down the problem. I am baffled...

-In manual mode, I can jog the X and Z axes no problem (either with the +/- buttons or manual pulse wheel).

-If I go into MDI mode and type "G0 X1 Z1", it will go to about 1" away (in +Z) from the center of the collet, and it looks like it's right at X0

-If I type G0 X10 Z20 it goes to just about the same spot

-If I try to run a program, the spindle doesn't start, the turret moves to that same spot and just sits there

-No error codes on the screen, nothing on any of the spindle drives, and nothing on the OSP5000 controller itself in the cabinet

-I've checked my main X and Z offsets, and they are what they should be.

-I can go into the Zero Set menu and set offsets no problem. But whatever I set the offset to, it doesn't seem to change where the turret moves to upon any G command

-If I use MDI and say G0 X1 Z1 and it goes to that position, I can't get it to move positively in the X or Z axes through G codes, no matter what numbers I use. So if I type G0 X1 Z1 and wait for it to move.. then type G0 X10 Z1, it won't move up in X. If I type G0 X1 Z10, it won't move in +Z. But I can switch to manual mode and use the handwheel or +/- buttons to move it in any axes I like.

-When it moves to near the chuck, I checked to be sure it's not sitting on any limits

-When I move it to the +X and +Z extents, and type G0 X? Y?, whatever I type for ?, it always seems to go to the same spot.

-This machine has absolute position encoders and I am not getting any errors... the numbers on the display are matching what my dial indicator says the machine is moving.

The only thing I can think is that a few weeks back I was trying (for the millionth time) to get RS-232 file transfer working. I changed a few parameters, but only ones which get changed for RS-232. I had written down everything I changed, so I set them all back to what they were before I changed anything, let it sit for a few minutes, then reset the machine - does the same thing.

I did a visual check of the cabinet looking for any loose wires, mice chewed wires, etc - nothing. Looks clean as a whistle.

I keep thinking it must either be the most bizarre problem ever encountered or something really idiotic that I am doing like forgetting I changed something or some switch I've hit with my elbow. But I can't think what would cause this. I've checked my programs and they are OK (and I can read and write programs no problem). For a moment I thought maybe I somehow put it in a metric mode and my inches were being taken as millimeters, but even if I do G0 X200 Z200 it still goes to that same spot. I even unplugged the RS232 cable in case it was something going on there. And I made sure the clamp-unclamp switches on the spindle are working. I can start the spindle no problem (at any speed) with M03 M44SXXXX, no problem there. Turret indexes OK (from either panel switch or MDI command).

It's just like no matter what program move I give, it just goes to that same spot about X0 Z1 and sits there indefinitely.

Any ideas?

So in case anyone comes across this later, I figured out what is happening...

if I type G0 X10 Z10

It is going to X 0.001 and Z0.001

The machine is in "ten thousandths" mode instead of "inches" mode. So to go to X10, I need to type "G0 X100000"

I must have messed up a parameter somewhere! I'll try to figure it out - anyone know which parameter would cause this? It's an OSP5000 "green screen" control.

Nothing wrong/no parameter change. use decimal points and you'll be fine. G0 X10. Z10.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Nothing wrong/no parameter change. use decimal points and you'll be fine. G0 X10. Z10.
    It's not that - I tried it - if I type G0 X10. Z10. it goes to X 0.0010 and Z 0.0010

Also the programs I've been running forever are crashing into the work So something definitely changed.

As far as i know on those, decimal point was driven by software. I should have a 5000 operator pocket book at home. Nothing that old here.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    As far as i know on those, decimal point was driven by software. I should have a 5000 operator pocket book at home. Nothing that old here.
    If you have something at home that would be great! I got a bunch of manuals with the machine but mostly loose pages and very little in terms of parameters and control functions. I've had this machine for 6 years and it's always run fine, but the last thing I did was change some parameters trying to get RS-232 to work correctly, so that's why I think it must be a parameter I changed by accident, even though I (thought I had) wrote all the changes I made. I guess I must have changed something else by accident. Thanks!!!

Going from memory, It is Parameter bit #3 bit 1 (right next to inch/metric bit 0) Switch that and your decimals will become effective again.

Best regards,

PS> my battery may be weak in my RAM.... ;-)

Just to follow up, yep the last 2 bits of parameter 3 are the ones that control metric/inch and "ten thousandth" vs "inch" mode. Flipped it to one and the machine is working great. Thanks OkumaWiz!