586,036 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Okada GMC654 any good for Mild steel?

I'm looking at an OKADA GMC654 to replace my Bridgeport Interact 2 Series 2 cnc machine. The Okada is a graphite mill but I'm wondering if it will handle mild and hardend steel as well? The speed range of this thing is 3000-25000 rpm. The machine I can get for around 25k I'm just wondering if this is a good deal or I should keep looking? I mostly mill mild steel and some aluminum. any help or experience you can offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Re: Okada GMC654 any good for Mild steel?

Probably not. It all depends upon how you expect to machine that hard steel. Even for mild steel 3000RPM could be too fast. Then you have to ask how much torque does that spindle have at 3000RPM. My guess is that it doesn't have much.

So without more information Id have to say no. A search of the net might turn up more info. Beyond that the mill seems to be overpriced.

I believe that spindle still has full torque at 3000 rpm, most likely has a mitusbishi spindle drive with encoder, can do rigid tapping i believe, has fanuc controls heidehain glass scales, are ultra precise machines. Where abouts are you seeing this machine?

From what I read they have full torque through the entire rpm range. I cant seem to find much on the net about these machines. I've been googling them and trying to see if others have used them for steel machining or not. But I haven't turned up much.

i hope your machine is doing well. would you have a backup disc you would be willing to sale a copy of. thanks