587,256 active members*
2,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

oi-md tool offset problem

Hello and thanks for having a forum to ask questions. I am new here. I am working second shift and its hard to get day shift to get things worked out. i am working on a new retro fit with a fanuc oi-md controller. The main problem i am having trouble with is the tool offset. when day shift set the programs up they call up the the tool by using G43 H1 Z1.0 . it calls up the the offset and runs fin except that in Absolute Z shows up as the Actual Z plus the offset. so if i have an offset as -2.5 and i have it zeroed on the face of the part when z goes to the face it shows as Z-2.5 not Zero like it should. when i change the command line to G43 T1 Z1.0 it looks like every thing is going to work great. it calls up tool 1, changes the offset properly and moves to Z1.0, then will not progress to the next line for anything. no error. just hangs up. the machine has a tool changer. but is not operational and is cut off. not sure if it had anything to do with it. but what ever line the T is in that is the where the program stops. any help would be greatful. i just want my Z to show up a Zero.

Use the Operator (G54) screen? Not Absolute screen? If you start messing around with parameters, the day shift will probably not like it and you might get fired.

Is absolute - absolute

Hey homeboy,

I always have the ABS screen display what is programmed. Zero is zero.

There is a simple parameter change that toggles the absolute display take in account the TLO.

3104 # 6 DAL Absolute position
    0: The actual position displayed takes into account tool length
    offset.
    1: The programmed position displayed does not take into account
    tool length offset.

As with CNCman - caution

The parameters in 3104 are 0 so it is supposed to. When I use the H code for the offset it calculates the off set and goes the right distance. But shows the offset. When I use T code to call up the off set it changes the absolute to read zero like should and move to the Z location in the same line of code. But it will not progress to the next line. So it can continue with the program. I have also used the T and H code together in same line to. Like G43 T1 H1 Z1.0 , it also changes the absolute to the correct Z location and moves to Z 1 inch above the part (like it should) but it will not go to the next line of code. No error, the machine just pauses. Only thing I can do os restart program. Thank for any help.

Try this:

T1 M6
    G00 G54 X0. Y0.
    G43 H1 Z1.
    M00

Now. What is the actual tool position relative to the set G54 Work Zero point? What does the Machine Position read? What does the Absolute Position read?

Well like said it did same thing got to the T 1 M6 it logged T 1 on modal and program just stored.

Interesting. Try separating the T1 M6.

T1
    M6
    G00 G54 X0. Y0.
    G43 H1 Z1.
    M00

Yes very. Same T1 program stopped. If I could get the absolute to recognize the H code instead I would be happy but can't find anything there. It'd very hard to run a program and not really know the depth your at. The day sift is not much more than a button pusher. And the lead man does what he wants and don't care too much. I just can't stand to not do it right.

The t command is probably trying to pre call the next tool from the atc. Since its disabled, it won't get an answer back from the atc. That's my guess why the program hangs on the t call.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    The t command is probably trying to pre call the next tool from the atc. Since its disabled, it won't get an answer back from the atc. That's my guess why the program hangs on the t call.
    Put a different tool number into the spindle before starting.

[QUOTE=cncchewer;1111787]Hey homeboy,

There is a simple parameter change that toggles the absolute display take in account the TLO.

offset.
    tool length offset.

Did you try to set it to 1? If you want to display the programmed position, it means that you don't want to take into account
    tool length offset. So it should be 1.

Quote Originally Posted by cncchewer View Post
    Hey homeboy,

offset.
    tool length offset.

Did you try to set it to 1? If you want to display the programmed position, it means that you don't want to take into account
    tool length offset. So it should be 1.

If use G43 H1 Z 1. Yes it moves to 1 inch. No change to ABS screen. If use G43 T1 H1 Z1. It movers to 1 inch above but will not progress to next line. On the 3104 parameter yes its 0 and when changed to 1 the G43 T1 Z1. Does not change Z and still doesn't nor to next line.
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if I can change something so I can use H to set offset and it change the ABS screen.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Put a different tool number into the spindle before starting.
    You missed my point. If the ladder was written to select a tool from the ATC using a T call like most machines, anytime you use a T call in the program the machine will hang up. Doesn't matter if you manually put a tool in, the T call is still going to look for the ATC.

Is your machine set for macro call with a T-code?