587,372 active members*
4,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Newbie in need of help with inexpensive cnc machine

Newbie in need of help with inexpensive cnc machine

I am very new to cnc and have been reading up as much as I could in the last 3-4 days in regards to build design and the parts that are needed.

I constantly create computer parts in cad (fan grills, case parts, adaptors, some watercooling parts, etc)
    Almost all of it can be made out of 1-2mm aluminum, copper, or stainless steel.

Ultimately I'd like to build a cnc machine that can mill these parts out to my specs.

Since I'm new to the cnc angle, but not the cad angle, I'll throw out all the questions that make me scratch my head.

Can a small cnc with a dremel work fine for milling 1-2mm aluminum?
    If not a dremel, what about a rotozip? (I have both, so I would prefer not to pickup additional tools)

Is it the torque of the step-motor that gives a proper cut or is it the stability-speed of the tool on the z-axis?

Can I get away with a very small diy cnc machine in the diy $150-300 range?
    Would this be appropriate to cut aluminum?

http://www.bluumax.com/3_Axis_Machine.html

Any info would be wonderful.

Thanks,
    Eddie

Im not sure you will be able to get away with bulding the entire machine with that budget but it can be done. The slides, ballscrews, and motors are what jack the price up. If you decide to go the homegrown path, you will be sacrificing accuracy and from what it sounds like, you are looking for a pretty accurate machine. Good Luck

Hi Eddie. Welcome to the Zone!

Cutting metal requires a certain minimum level of rigidity and accuracy. The most bang for the buck in a reliable and capable nearly-ready-to-go CNC mill that will do what you need is the $1700 Deepgroove1 Taig/Gecko machine: (Some assembly required)

http://deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

You almost cannot build it this inexpensively. Buying ready to go is SO much faster to get to making what you want.

Do NOT buy the cheaper DG1, unless you LIKE constant trouble.

You might find some of this to be helpful:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread...709#post572709

CR.

Yeah, the bluumax one doesn't even seem to use bearings..

Thanks for the responses guys. It seems to me from looking at the forum, videos, and diy projects, that it's impossible to get accuracy from a dremel or a cheaper build.

If I go the cheap route, I'll end up like this guy :drowning: (gotta love emoticons on forums )

I think the best thing for me to do is check some of the more elaborate diy builds and see what parts I have. I have good quality skf bearings from my bicycle builds and my father has massive amount of good quality stepper motors.

The first build has to be diy, because it will teach me the ins and outs of cnc.

Thanks again,
    Eddie

DIY CNC

Hi Eddie,

Listen to CR and read the post he listed below...it is so true.

I build my CNC router for "cheap" and while it is a great hobby machine it has its share of problems. Speed, losing steps at higher speeds, and it isn't very precise. Its great for wood working but I wouldn't attempt metal. Of course teh table cost me about 50 bucks when allis said and done. I used roller skate bearings, 1/4in all thread, and MDF for my gantry style cnc router.

I use a dremel for cutting and have had some success with aluminum when cutting at about 3-5 ipm but like I said it isn't what I would reccommend.

I use Kcam with a stepper world package which will have everything you need to setup a DIY cnc table. But the cost would be roughly 350.00 for just the controller, motors, and software liscense. As said this is for a bottom of the line system which works good at slow speeds BUT is every inefficient.

I'm posting CR's link again as it is FULL of great info that I wish I had when I built my cnc a coupel years ago.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread...709#post572709

Regards,
    Mike