586,068 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > NEWBIE HELP Gecko G540 motor issues (barebones install)

NEWBIE HELP Gecko G540 motor issues (barebones install)

Hi all, my motors wont turn. I have Mach3 configured, as instructed based on the machine i'm building + PC parallel set to EPP. I am not getting anything from my motors; But gecko is responding as expected. A few questions for you guys:

1. How can I tell if Mach3 is sending/receiving correctly by checking parallel cord pins? and if so, how can I do it with a multimeter?
    2. Can someone tell me what pins and colors they soldered for their motors (2 phase)? Going off someone's other post, I soldered BLACK: 6 GREEN: 7 RED: 8 BLUE: 9, on my DB9 connector, with a resistor arching from pin1 to pin 5. Anyone else have the resistor in place?

3. How can I check, with a multimeter, how my 2-phase motors are wired? I want to make sure they are assigned the correct pin.
    4. Should "reset" switch between "power" and "fault" in Mach3? I can only get it into fault mode when exiting Mach3 (no EStop)

***UPDATE-WOW, I just noticed that my premade DB9 cables connecting my motors are really hot! (Gecko is fine - receiving 48DCV). I removed the premade cable and just connected only the motor end I soldered into the X-axis on the Gecko and my motor is humming a little (Progress! lol)***

What does everyone think?

I really could use some help here guys.Attachment 266464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0003.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	266466

Re: NEWBIE HELP Gecko G540 motor issues (barebones install)

1 Multimeter in DC V position you should be able to see the output of the DIR signal go HIGH or LOW if you change direction and send signal to the motor to move.
    The STEP should stay HIGH or LOW if the motor is stopped and give values in between when the motor should turn.
    2 I can't tell as I don't have the motor specs
    3 Multimeter in Ohm position. There should be low resistance between two wires, and also between the other two wires, Now you know the two winding pairs
    pin 6 and 7 should be connected to one pair, and pin 8 and 9 to the other pair. If the motor goes in the wrong direction, just revers two wires from one pair.
    4 I don't know as I'm not familiar with Mach3
    On the picture it looks like you used a 3K3 resistor, is the motor 3.3A then the cables shouldn't get to hot ( warm is ok )
    Rgds Toin.

Good information. Ok, well then I thought I had my motors wired right - I actually used the Ohm meters method to verify the correct winding. I guess ill double check this time around.

The motors are 3.5AAttachment 266722

Motor Specs:

Step Angle: 1.8 +/- 5% / Step
    Voltage: 3.5 V
    Current: 3.5A/Phase
    Resistance: 1.2 +/- 10% Ohms/Phase
    Inductance: 3.0 +/- 20% mH/Phase
    Holding Torque: 210 N.cm or 300 oz/in.
    Insulation Class: B
    Lead Style: AWG22 UL1007
    Flange Size: NEMA23

The motor (only soldered and hooked up one motor) was nice and cool but wouldn't move and kept making a humming sound, no matter which axis i plugged it into on the Gecko.
    Cables got hot and I am going to order some more, larger gauge, DB9 cables.

It is called an ISET resistor.

so.....after much troubleshooting and miscellaneous what not....i found out that i just needed to load the Gecko XML file into Mach3....looks like my settings weren't correct.