586,060 active members*
4,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEWB with some questions

Im looking to by a smaller ( hobby ) CNC to accommodate my leather-working hobby. I'd like to use it to start making embossing stamps for the leather like the ones below. The stamps would only have to be an inch or so in total hight, but actually engraving depth would only be about from about 1/16 to an 1/8. but id like to achieve the type of detail on the stamps in the images. The black stamp is Delrin plastic. and the other is brass. I'd like to possibly make some from brass or aluminum, but im not sure if the machines in my budget would be capable of routing something like this out of brass or aluminum. Id like to spend between $1000 and $2000 with software and everything. Right now im looking at purchasing a used Probotix Fireball V90 for around $1000 with bits and basic software.. I looked around for software and I really like the ArtCam program. Do you think this machine and software could work well for my purpose.. obviously i would experiment with other projects too... let me know what you think... any advice would me great since im completely new to this. Im only picking the the Fireball, because its local, but im open to other machines too.
    Thanks RR
    Attachment 241802Delrin Stamp Attachment 241804 or brass stamp

Re: NEWB with some questions

I don't think that a low-priced router like that will really do what you want, especially in metals. They are designed for relatively low-precision work in fairly large pieces of wood, not for the small and highly detailed projects you have in mind. The rigidity of the whole machine, while adequate for wood, is not going to be sufficient for this sort of thing. The router spindle has too much run-out to handle the very small tools you'll need to use, so they'll break a lot, and you'd want better control of rotational speed than they allow.

I'd suggest looking for a small mill, rather than a router. They are more rigid, with different, more precise spindles, and are designed for cutting metals.You can get a US-made Sherline 5400 CNC mill within your budget, and it would do a lot better on projects like yours than a wood router. Software's another matter, though. The full version of ArtCAM costs a lot more money than you're contemplating, but there are entry-level versions that are less. I'm not sure if they'd be sufficient for what you want to do, but there's starting to be a lot of free or inexpensive software available that you can try, until you find something you like.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Makes sense and I assumed that would be the case for the metal stamps. Does the same go for the Delrin ( acetal ) too? I just figured this machine would work based on some videos, but a lot of videos show the work being done, but not the type of machine doing it... Perhaps a Laser engraver is a better alternative to get the better detail in the Delrin..
    Thanks again

The Fireball would work with Delrin, but you may need to make several light passes if you want high quality cuts.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the info... I went ahead an purchased a used Fireball V90 off craigslist, and im in the process of setting it up. Ill try the derin with it and see what happens...