587,657 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New here, 1st stupid question!

I am a total newb, I just found this site and am thrilled that there may be help on the horizon!
    I havent touched a machine in years and am in need of a smaller mill and lathe to make and repair motorcycle parts (wheel spacers, facing things etc..). My problem is my small shop has low ceilings so this rules out getting an old Bridgeport etc.

I have been looking at some of the combo machines in the market and wanted some opinions on the cheaper "Smithy" brand 1220 or so. and this unit that is for sale at my local Wholesale tool. It is an obvious import but the price is right! See this please I think the Smithy is nice but not as large, anyone here ever used either of these things?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger, I cant find a smaller lathe that 2 guys can carry thru the door that costs less than this combo. And to be honest since I have no idea what I will be doing anyway I figured to learn my way around machining with one of these?

Tips, comments welcome.\
    Thank you!

Is this thing on..Thump Thump... Hello?

The combo machines are nice but you become limited on the size of work you can machine, I have never owned or used one but I wonder if just working around the machine would become annoying, having the deferent components in the way.

I have been seeing some complaints about the setup time to switch machines. Would I be better off with something like this. http://www.wttool.com/p/30060005p/3006-0005

What kind of machine

If you're gonna do it use a Square Column Mill, round column mills are very bad, as are the 3 in 1 machines. In the class you're talking about nothing else even comes close.

If you want your welcome to give me a call anytime before 10 PM est, I know about bench mills.

BTW. I don't do a big sales pitch thing, just a what works and why conversation.

Thanks
    Aaron Moss
    207-637-2523
    www.IndustrialHobbies.com