587,553 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > New 2 CNC with Questions on EM3116
Page 1 of 3 123

New 2 CNC with Questions on EM3116

Hello cnczone!!!!
    I have been wanting to learn cnc for several years but never could find machine I could afford.....well I found a dyna EM3116 and have been doing some reading on the net.....and I kept ending up here.......so I joined......lol.....and dont spoon feed me......I want to learn myself.....I just need pointed in the right direction...

1st from reading most stuff is wrote in Gcode....and the dyna wont work with Gcade....Is this correct?

2nd The machine boots to a DOS window....been years since messing with DOS but it will come back quick with a little jumpstart...

3rd I have a pile of 486s in the attic and should have a baby AT board.....and processor so upgrading it is no prob but I read that without the dyna software it wont run the controllers.....is this correct?

and last....thanks for any help

OK so here goes, and dont forget to join the yahoo Dyna group. G code is just a language. DynaLan is some variation of conversational programming. I am not sure 1 is better than the other as much as g code has become more popular. I am just starting to try to understand DynaLan but it seems pretty straight forward. You can use a modern cad program and use the post processor for a Dyna machine. It will write the correct code for the machine. Did you just buy the 1 on ebay? Is 999.00 right now with no bids. Solid machine for sure. My little ones that were built for educational and or small parts are built very well. Somebody around here or on the other site I mentioned will have some info and or software around. So far i have been able to communicate via RS232 and upload or download into or from the machine just fine ( I had problems but just the usual misunderstandings). If this is your first foray into cnc. I hope you like to read into the wee hours of the morning. Plenty to do. Good Luck. Btw you should be able to do quite a bit thru the controller to build and upload files to save. Have you talked to Dyna Mechtronics? Roberto is pretty helpful (he does try to be) unfortunately on the smaller machines like mine there isnt much physical support.

Hey thanks for the help.....yeh that one on ebay is it.....I own it....LOL......looks like i need the software now.....LOL.....Thanks again

ok ....read enough to confuse myself.....LOL.....new question.......what software should someone that is new to cnc start working with?

Your problem will be with getting a post processor from whoever's cad program that would generate the proper code to communicate with the Dyna. I personally have BobCad and by luck it has a post processor for my machine. ( I have not gotten it to recognize arcs though, it outputs them but the machine doesnt obey them) I will warn you about BobCad, haggle and give them a cricket cell phone number and throw it away after all is working well. Their sales team is the most aggessive in any industry. There are a few cad programs that will have trial periods, CamBam comes to mind. If you are a student then I think you can get some deals too. Probably enough share ware to get started. I really wouldnt worry about that too much until the machine was home and hooked up. Find out what it has and if it works. Then interface with it or gut it, modernize the electronics and run Mach and G code. Have you looked into the Yahoo Dyna group? They are only about 75 members or so but they are specific to Dyna. Keep posting and throw some pictures of the new toy up here soon. Good Luck

I am waiting on approval on the yahoo group....

Well its home.....LOL......and its big!.....LOL.....I had to take it apart to unload it.......my motto has always been start big and downsize later....LOL.....any ways I found the dyna 4m software.....I think all I lack is a manual and post processor......and BTW I have been "playing" with mach3 software and it looks fun......

I think the yahoo group is dead......I was hoping a dyna post processor would be there......here is the beast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo014.jpg  

There isnt much activity I admit but you need all the resources you can get. No doubt a big machine. Were you the only bidder?

No there was 1 other....

I have been playing with Gcode some.....its seems easier then some of the other stuff I have messed with.........picking up on it real quick

still havent got into the group yet.......not much activity may be a understatement....LOL......I dont think there is any......LOL......anyways thanks for the help.......I am still doing alot of reading on CNC trying to get educated

Does anyone out there have a manual for this machine?

Dss
    BobCAD-CAM | CAD-CAM Software for CNC Machines including: Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM, Laser, Plasma, Waterjet, Routers and much more.
    I did notice that BobCad does have a post processor for that machine. Remember what everyone including me says about BC if you do get it. Do not give them your phone number (not 1 you ever answer) as they are relentless. As a matter of fact most companies lose contact once the check clears, not BC that is when the sales starts. Otherwise a pretty capable software package regardless of the rap. Odd it changes my link when posted? I had the specific PP selected? Anyway it is only available in versions v19-21 (it might work with V23, I dont know) as I think the others arent supported anymore. You would have to call them for the answer. If they tell you they would have to modify or create a custom processor for you, the wait could be lengthy if you ever get it.

hey thanks fastest1.......I have a error code or something with the machine....
    E378: DRV: in disabled state

Here is the full error code

E378: DRV: in disable state! (1-X,2-Y,4-Z,8-U,16-V)(-15)

Is that the info in the error code?

Yeh.....the table will not move......everything else seems to be working.

I am sure you have tried all of the usual unplugging the power and waiting and plugging it back in and hoping for a change (kind of like some voters at the last US elections! LOL). I know mine is sensitive to electrical contacts being possibly dirty. When I first started operating my machine, I purchased an "electrical tuner spray" it is a cleaner/lubricant for pot switches and the like. I depowered the machine, sprayed all switches from the inside and out while turning and or pushing them repeatedly. I also took a toothbrush and removed all electrical connections, spade connectors or whatever got removed one at a time and cleaned and then plugged back in. That way I am sure they are unlikely or less likely to be the culprit in further problems. Have you talked to Roberto at Dyna? He is pretty helpful if he can be.

That alarm indicates the the axis amps are disabled. That can be for lots of reasons. The emergency stop button is activated, the incoming voltage is wrong, the machine is on the limit switches, etc.

There should be an alarm that precedes that E378 but you'll have to watch for it before it gets scrolled up by the E378.

The 4M control is PC based and uses standard G/M codes. The post processor will come from your CAM software company.

Here's a trick when editing programs. While in the editor window, press the TAB button on the keypad once, and the highlighter will appear over on the lower right. Use the cursor arrows on the keypad to highlight a specific G/M code and press INPUT on the keypad. A small graphic display will appear with fill-in-the-blank code in your program. While highlighting the G/M codes, press PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN for more G/M codes. This is especially useful for some of the built in pocketing and bolt pattern routines.

Page 1 of 3 123