587,086 active members*
2,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Need sugestions for safe transport of KMB-1

Need sugestions for safe transport of KMB-1

Hi,

I am moving up to the Twin Cities area and I need to move my Hurco kmb-1 up there. So far the plan is to load it onto a car trailer and take it up there. I am looking for any helpful ideas on how to make this a safe and successful trip. Where are the good/safe places to tie to the mill to keep it upright and in place in transit?

Thanks

God bless...
    Mark

Re: Need sugestions for safe transport of KMB-1

I wound stretch wrap both ends of the table and stuff foam or bubble wrap bundles up around the knee jacking screw. Also maybe a good greasy rag can be wedged into any gap at the top rear of the knee between the dovetails. This should help keep out as much road grit as possible from getting on your X & Y ballscrews and Z jacking acme screw. You can also stuff foam/bubble wrap balls up in the openings under the ram as these connect to the Quill/Z axis ballscrew chamber. Use a Contractors size HD garbage bag to bag the control console - duct tape and packing tap as needed to make it wind and water proof.

You might want to remove the spindle motor cover (reduce height) and wrap the spindle motor and Z axis servo. ( I only bagged my servo. )

I secured a chain to the back of the ram to anchor the machine from tipping during panic breaking - machine was facing forward on the trailer. I had forged eyebolts in each of the front holes in the base with 2inch ratchet straps going right and left to keep the machine centered on the trailer. I also had brackets bolted to the table on each side with straps to prevent tipping.

Once you have the machine in its final spot - wash the exposed Y axis knee ways with WD40 and paper towels to be sure all road grit is gone then smear a bit of fresh clean way oil on the cleaned surfaces remember both in front AND behind the table. - Also be sure any packing material is removed.

Do not allow anyone to lift it by the straps around the head ! I know someone who did on a KMB-1, and it did not work out well, the machine was damaged beyond economical repair, I bought the servo and encoders off it as spares for mine...

Plastic shrink wrap that is used for boat storage is easy to get done in my area.
    I would look at this for moving anything I owned.
    If it has holes in the base of the machine I would also use those to mount to trailer.
    Drilling a few holes and some big bolts with backing plates will help any rigging to hold it steady.
    Some additional ideas to consider.