587,787 active members*
5,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Need some help with Hitachi L100
Page 1 of 2 12

Need some help with Hitachi L100

I would apreciate some help setting up L100 VFD that is being used with Bridgeport. VFD was purchased used and installed about two weeks ago. This is my first time using VFD's, but once installed it runs the spindle fine(somewhat). By somewhat i mean that in lowest setting with pot it is running at 105Hz. How can i change this so it can go down to 0 or whatever it is normaly supposed to be?

Another question i have is about running relay(cnc4pc board C6 Varable speed control board) I have folllowed the instructions one the site, set it up in mach3 as instructed, but it still doesnt turn on the VFD, do i have to do anything on VFD side? here are the instructions i followed:

http://cnc4pc.com/images/Hitachi_L100.jpg

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C6-VSCB_Manual_Rev4.pdf

Thank you for any help,
    Russ

also would like to mentions that i have been reading the manual from hitachi website, but having really hard time understanding it and would aprecite some advice from someone who has messed around with these things or know anything about them.

here is the hitachi manual i have been looking through for some time now:

http://www.hitachi.us/supportingdocs...ok_NB576XE.pdf

no suggestions?

Rust, reread the part about configuring your VFD. You have to set the range of frequency that you expect to run. Also the inputs and outputs need to be configured for how you plan to use them. Its all in the manual.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Rust, reread the part about configuring your VFD. You have to set the range of frequency that you expect to run. Also the inputs and outputs need to be configured for how you plan to use them. Its all in the manual.

(;-) TP
    i'm having hard time understanding the manual, i found parameter for frequency, but input/outputs are beyond my understanding. I would love if some one could help me figure out them. Also how do i exit the menu after editing the settings?

Rust there is going to be a lot to set up I suggest you find someone to help you understand the manual. My wife is the best manual understander in the world. Might try yours if you have one. Or a friend.

Someone that understands VFDs would be best.

There is a section in the manual that steps you though most of the important steps.

You will have to check/setup the number of poles of the motor. The rpm range based on the range frequency. Careful here not to overspeed the motor beyond what is safe for the motor/spindle.

YOu also need to navigate the menu system. You need to learn how to unlock the config mode to program. You also need to learn how to switch over from outside manual control to internal control so the CNC4PC
    speed controller can work.

You may or may not have to assign a function to the inputs to tell it what function it is suppose to do with the input signal.

ETC,ETC.

(;-)TP

Thanks for your suggestions/help. But i was looking for someone who has/had and know these VFD's. I know i could get someone to help me etc. But if some one could tell me push this button, than this than that, and they know it how to navigate the menus, that all i was asking for. Beside one freind, this is the only other place where i could ask for this kind of help, and he already helped me all he could.

Russ you should read the manual front to back(japanense manuals are always fun to understand), you in the long run will be better off, more then likely you will have multiple settings to change to get the VFD down to 0, a word of caution you should not let it get that low, as some drives stay engaged at 0 and this will certainly fry some thing(i as a habit never set them lower then 10Hz esp if it has to work). You will be looking for min freq, bias voltage, freq range, etc. Inputs, and outputs are more then likely user set to what you want them to do against a number of choices so without knowing how you are setup its hard say what you will need but you will need to set the inputs to a suitable setting for the breakout board you are using-maybe the manufacturer can help with that. Typically if you are using a 24 volt input you will have an enable(on) and a forward/reverse input(its off for one direction on for the other), although some drives input at lower votlages(as low as 3 volts I have seen).
    If you are having troubling understanding the basic ideas past this I suggest you stop and learn about these things so as you don't hurt yourself or someone else.
    So from what I gather you need to change the iputs, makesure the control votlage is suitable(ie 24dc supplied from the drive more then likely) and that your gain and input votlage are correct, when you go from a control card to to a drive you typically only use 2 lines(one signal and one hot or ground), not three and have used only one once and a while. Since you are running fairly fast at 105hz I would think your control voltage for the pot(the card) is set wrong(most are either 5 or 10).
    chris

It
    Tim

ok, so i got most of my issues figured out. But there is one more thing i was wondering about. How can i know the rpms of the spindle with out having to put encoder/buying something to tell me that. Lets say the rpm tag shows that i should be running 425rpm, at lets say 30Hz, does it spin at 425/2=~213? or is there some kind of chart i could use to tell me my approximate rpms? Thanks, Russ

Hi RUSS, How precise do you want to be? If you have the controller setup with mach the S speed will be fairly close to acurate.

Or you can set up the display of the VFD to display Frequency. A 4 pole motor at 60hz will run at about 1760rpm. You can calculate the different rpm based on frequency. So at 30hz it would be 880 RPM. 90 hz would be 2640.

THese are MOTOR RPMS if you have a step up or down reduction for the spindle you have to correct for true spindle speeds.

Also remember if you are running in LOW range there is an addition 9:1 reduction. If you set up the pulley section in mach you can also reverse the spindle direction for low range so when you call for a M3 in low range the spindle will turn in the correct direction.

A spindle speed index is fairly simple to hook up to mach and would give you the exactly spindle speed Displayed in MACH if needed. Also it would allow you to sync the spindle speed to an axis for tapping.

(;-) TP

Well - I am sorry I did not see this thread earlier. I have a Hitachi VFD running a BP through Mach.

Sorry I was late to the party!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

it doesnt have to be precise, something +/- 100rpms. On the bridgeport i have i believe the top rpms on the motor are 1200(the motor spec tag is not present). My VFD is set up to show the Frequency, so this should be really easy than. I'm going to put belt into the gear that is closest to 1:1 and go from there. Having the spinde speed index would be nice, but that something i dont need atm, but will definetly get later down the road. So now i just have to make quick reference chart and hang it on the mill(unless one already exists). Thank you again!

If you are running the spindle through a spindle speed board and you are using Mach, then you can change the "Pulley Number" to what ever pulley you are using and after the initial spindle set up procedure (in Mach) is accomplished, you can simply command the desired spindle speed through an M3 command. Pretty slick.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

ok, but what if i, let say, want to run it at 100hz, how will mach know? or do i setup the pulley chart for doube speed(i have vfd set at 120hz max). For lowest pulley(275rpm) do i put 550?

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post
    ok, so i got most of my issues figured out. But there is one more thing i was wondering about. How can i know the rpms of the spindle with out having to put encoder/buying something to tell me that. Lets say the rpm tag shows that i should be running 425rpm, at lets say 30Hz, does it spin at 425/2=~213? or is there some kind of chart i could use to tell me my approximate rpms? Thanks, Russ
    Your final output is tied to your gearbox ratio, so if you are in high gear and the ratio is for instance 2:1 then you divide by 2, if its 3:1 the you divide by 3. Your drive may or may not be real accurate as far as the displayed speed sometimes they can be several hundred rpms off due load changes in the drive. The best bet is either an encoder or optical switch, the later being fairly cheap, non contact, and accurate, wereas the encoder is contact and fairly expensive but very accurate.

what kind of optical switches are you talking about? Could you show a picture/link? Thanks...

They are sometimes refered to as slot sensors(there are other styles also), I don't have a picture handy, if you go to the Mach manual it used to have a simple setup in there for a optical sensors. The ones i use look like horseshoes or U's.

Chris

Hay rustamd your mail box is too full! Here is my question,
    What did you set the minimum Hz setting at on your VDF?

If you already have that set right, my other question is do you have a auto turning feature on your VDF? If so use it and that will solve any problems at the VDF.

Page 1 of 2 12