586,058 active members*
4,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need some advice on buying a SpectraLight mill

Need some advice on buying a SpectraLight mill

Thinking of buying a SpectraLight mill and wondering what one is worth that needs a bit of work. It's said to have updated motor drivers but isn't fully working, mechanically in good condition. I am new to CNC but not to electronics so getting it running shouldn't be too bad even if I have to replace some electronics bits. Down the road I would like to have a CNCed G0704 for some steel milling and a bit bigger work but this seems pretty good to get started and learn software and tools without taking up much space. If and when I move to a bigger machine I figure I can sell it. Or am I going to put so much money/time in other tooling that I should just go for the bigger mill to start?

I have read that at least some had unipolar step motors originally and I think the bipolar motors are preferred - some of the upgrades mention changing to bipolar steppers. Anyone know what motors they came with originally?

Any thoughts? What sort of things should I be looking for or looking out for when I look it over? I have a fair amount of general machine experience but none with mills.

Re: Need some advice on buying a SpectraLight mill

Is this a Sherline based machine? If so, they are alright and will give you the opportunity to learn. You will get frustrated cutting metals but it can be done.

On the other hand, if you want a G0704 eventually just buy 1. There is no need for too many machines laying around.
    A lazy man does it twice.

As Fastest1 mentioned it will be good to learn on, and not very speedy for metal cutting

We recently did a few of these small sherline mill retro-fits for cutting and a couple were made into 3D printers, for some local schools,

The main issues where old controls, and the worn fine pitch drive screws, the slides were actually in good shape considering the amount of use, and being made from aluminum

If it is a sherline, you should still be able to buy parts for it, the one's we did where all upgraded to acme 1/4" 4 start which helped huge with speed as compared to the 1/4-20 that are in them

here's a bit of info for you Sherline Mill to 3D Printer Conversion
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com

I did that same thing a few years ago,
    https://youtu.be/1XqlivRhLCc
    A lazy man does it twice.

Fastest1 - Nice 3D Printer Looks like great quality prints too

I have still been using our cnc router for printing, swapping between print head and spindle when I need to print or cut, but lately I have been considering building dedicated printer, and definitely going with Mach3 as the control.
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com