587,760 active members*
2,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need helps with cutting wood

Hi Everyone,

I have a 50w china engraver/laser. I am trying to cut 1/4" plywood and so far I am having no success. I have tried many different settings and I either burn the wood to a char or I have to cut the same shape 20 times before it cuts through. I have seen videos of other people cutting through 1/4" plywood with no issues, 1 pass and with a 50w laser. Is there something I am missing? Any help, suggestions or setting you can give me would be amazing. Trying to make a Mr & Mrs heart for a wedding for a friend of mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chica729 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 50w china engraver/laser. I am trying to cut 1/4" plywood and so far I am having no success. I have tried many different settings and I either burn the wood to a char or I have to cut the same shape 20 times before it cuts through. I have seen videos of other people cutting through 1/4" plywood with no issues, 1 pass and with a 50w laser. Is there something I am missing? Any help, suggestions or setting you can give me would be amazing. Trying to make a Mr & Mrs heart for a wedding for a friend of mine.

Thanks
    In my experience it all depends on the type of plywood. I can cut through 6mm (1/4") birch hobby plywood with one pass on my 50w chinese machine. If I try to cut exterior grade plywood from the hardware store, there is no chance of cutting with a single pass.

Re: Need helps with cutting wood

Quote Originally Posted by CBarnes View Post
    In my experience it all depends on the type of plywood. I can cut through 6mm (1/4") birch hobby plywood with one pass on my 50w chinese machine. If I try to cut exterior grade plywood from the hardware store, there is no chance of cutting with a single pass.
    Good Answer, and maybe you can try to adjust the power and focus.

Best&Rgds
    Apple

You can also change your focal lens. Usualy laser engravers coming from china often comes with a "standard" 50.8 mm focal lens.

If you put a 38.1mm focal lens you will concentrate more the beam(with less DOF), I cut "normal" plywood 3mm at 32% of power and 10mm/s speed and 5 mm "normal" plywood at 82 % of power and 5mm/s, birch hobby plywood 3mm with 22 % of power and 12 mm/s and 5 mm with 30 % of power and 9 mm/s.

1. Set power 95%-99%, 2. slow down the speed 3. make sure the beam is well aligned, 4, Better use 2.5" focus lens, If above done, you can still cut through. Then it is beyond your machines' ability. Please try to upgrade to a more powerful tube. Cbarnes is right. There are many kinds of plywood. Also different chinese lasers have different cutting ability ( tubes & parts quality & setting up skill).
    G.Weike Laser
    [email protected] [email protected] skype:melody.gweike