586,058 active members*
3,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Need help with new Micromill 2000 and Smartstep/3 driver.

Question Need help with new Micromill 2000 and Smartstep/3 driver.

I recently purchased a ScanTek Micromill 2000 (basically a Denford with different labels) off ebay for $350 shipped.

Its a small, enclosed, CNC mill used mainly for education and training. The mill is a Sherline with Vexta PK266-E2.0A, 180 oz-in. steppers in a nice enclosure.

However, there was no software for it. The driver board is a Smartstep/3 by Optimized Control of Bristol England. It uses a serial port and the MINT programming language. They were bought out by Baldor and MINT has become a very popular language for motion control (so I've read). However, I can't seem to find any CAM software that can create a g-code file translated to this language.

I figure I have two solutions:

Plan A: Find software compatible with this drive to solve the problem.

Plan b: Replace the driver board with a board from hobbycnc. The motors are rated at 1.4A and 5.1 volts with 180 oz-in holding torque. I would think it should work ok.

I would really like to stick to plan A and keep the stock board and wiring (it looks so nice and neat). I was hoping someone out there might know a bit about Baldor's MiNT language or software compatible with it.

I would like to get this little mill running so I can learn more about programming.

I also have an Enco mill/drill I am trying to convert to CNC. If I went with plan B, I would probably buy Mach II and use it for both machines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mm2000.jpg  

Plan B will probably be your best bet. If those ar 8 wire motors, using a unipolar controller like HobbyCNC's will only give you about 70% of the rated torque. A bipolar drive like the Xylotex would give you the full torque. But, the higher voltage allowed by the HobbyCNC board will probably even out the performance at higher speeds. So it's probably a toss up. Geckos would give you the best performance, although at a much higher price.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the help Gerry.

I guess I'll go ahead and order a HobbyCNC board on Tuesday if I don't hear anything from the software vendors I've contacted or anyone else here.

Jim

looks like you have the same mill as me could you send me picks of the wiring or a list of wire colers and where they go...

I also have a Smartstep/3

I have been looking for software for the Smartstep/3 for quite some time now. What I have found I will gladly share. found a program called MINT WORKBENCH and some MINT firmware updates and some other stuff I'm still chewing on. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all this stuff. Let me know how far you've got with plan A or plan B. I would also like to see more on plan B just incase I'm on the wrong track.

I can also help Skyline R34. Give me some time and i'll draw you and me both a complete schematic if you still need it.

Smartstep/3

From the looks of the picture, I also have the exact same mill with the same problem. Everything is intact and wired, came from a school surplus auction for $330, but no software. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Re: Smartstep/3

I also have happened upon one of these neat little mills. Has anyone reconfigured for different controller? Or used Smartstep 3 with current CAM ?

I am new to CNC and would like to get this going to learn with. I have spent HOURS reading about all the different aspects and it is really a challenge.

What I think I need to do is to find some software to design with (CAD) then I need software to convert that to G-Code (CAM). Then I think I need to send it to a controller (MACH3) that actually hooks to the motors. I notice there are 1000 CAD and 1000 CAM programs. I would like to learn on something I can use now as I learn more features upgrade to "standard" programs and not on a unique or odd ball system. ANy recommendations on best set of programs/controller?

Thanks for any help!

bob

Re: Need help with new Micromill 2000 and Smartstep/3 driver.

I was able to get the axis on one of these working with just a parallel port break out board.
    How to convert a Denford / ScanTek 2000 Micromill to LinuxCNC / Mach3 control: Part 1 – 3 Axis control | Jay's Technical Talk
    Jay