587,087 active members*
2,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help with New 50w laser

I just received my red and black 60/55w machine (close to a redsail x700?) . I purchased it on ebay and had it at my door from California in 4 days. It came with the RDWorks V8 software. After making sure the mirrors and lens were clean I proceeded to try some cuts and engraving. I was making marks on wood but not cutting through. I went to start alignment and noticed the beam from the tube to mirror 1 kind of looks like a shotgun blast not a single beam or circle. Also it seems to be spread out and not very concentrated. What could cause this? I am coming from a small 40w machine and felt pretty knowledgeable with it.I am alsopretty confused on the whole min1-2/max1-2 powers as well. The tube fires just fine with a nice purple/pink hue to the laser. I can upload pictures of my receipt paper to show the shotgun blast effect if need be. I also changed the mirrors out to see if that was the case and still have issues. The 1st blast is with reciept paper taped against the first hole in front of the tube before it hits the 1st mirror. The second is the same with masking tape, and the 3rd is with the tape on the mirror. Should it have all the dots around it? Im guessing not because i get to the second mirror and i have to press the pulse button for 20 seconds or so before it will even brown the tape and thats with power at max power set at 70%. If i place a piece of wood in front of the mirror, it doesnt burn, but the spot does get very warm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, i noticed in vendor tools, the frequency was set to 20KHz. Could this have anything to do with it? What is a recommended input for this?

Re: Need Help with New 50w laser

Can anybody show me a picture of what your beam looks like as it comes out of the tube, before it hits mirror 1? I compared my new machine to my 40w and the burn is huge. The 40watt was a nice and small concentrated dot. And caused my paper to burn at 35%. If you look at the picture all of the large burns are from the X700. And the two small burns are from the 40w. Did I maybe receive a bad tube?It looks like there is extra glue at the end of my tube, Also the tube "lens" looks darker than most tubes I have seen, Could it be burnt? I have orders waiting for me, and need this fixed yesterday lol. Update,I just noticed, The negative terminal(blue wire) glows a bright blue inside of the tube, and the negative metal inside the tube appears to have some discoloration (possibly arcing in tube?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _20150510_113906.JPG  

I just went out and did a test fire on my 60 watt unit and it is a nice solid round mark before the first mirror.

Likely a focus issue or your tube is messed up. Can you contact who you bought it from and and see if they will replace it?

My helix always have a pin point burn.
    jumbieindustries.com
    epilog 50w (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by jayselway View Post
    Likely a focus issue or your tube is messed up. Can you contact who you bought it from and and see if they will replace it?

My helix always have a pin point burn.
    I leaned toward it being a bad tube. I ended up ordering one from light object which should be here today. And I'm still waiting for a tracking number on my replacement tube.