587,833 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Need help: molding 12 details 100 pcs each

Need help: molding 12 details 100 pcs each

Hello,
    Need your help. Must do 12 different details (max. size 60x60x60 mm or 2"x2"x2" weight from 10 to 40 grams). Need 100 pcs. of each detail. Drawing is as Autocad file. Priority - price. Place of manufacturing is not important. Current material - protocryl. Any help is welcomed.

What is protocryl?
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

It will be hard to explained In former USSR protocryl is very popular to produce small runs of different details. This is selfhardening plastmasse. From the beginning you must mix special powder and liquid and fill mold with this mix. The main problem of protocryl is that full process (polimerization) from filling mold with mix till ready detail take 7 days. So I can produce just one detail per week using one mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    It will be hard to explained In former USSR protocryl is very popular to produce small runs of different details. This is selfhardening plastmasse. From the beginning you must mix special powder and liquid and fill mold with this mix. The main problem of protocryl is that full process (polimerization) from filling mold with mix till ready detail take 7 days. So I can produce just one detail per week using one mold.
    I think you are refering to 37221-34-4; Protacryl which is technically only used as a medical grade acrylic plastics. It is used for bone replacement etc.

If this is what your parts are to be used as, there may be no substitute approved.

DC

Yes, you are right. But we are doing from this materials parts of engraving equipment. So we do not use it in medicine purpose

That opens the door to lots of different products. Freeman has many to choose from, but not local to you.

I'd look into glass filled polyester resins. Basically a fiberglass resin. There are many other castable epoxy resins out there with far too many name brands. Each with different properties as far as cure rate, strength, chemical and temperature resistances.

As a secondary benefit with some of the epoxies, they are not as prone to off-gassing odors when working with them compared to polyesters.

Some are of a thermoplastic curing process and can be demoulded in short order after reaching a certian temperature.

DC

The problem is that due small market size we do not have access to some of products/technologies. I have spent over two weeks and still can not somebody who can make my order in Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia.

Check with places that offer boat or fibergalss repair products or art supplies?

Are you looking for someone else to produce the parts or just a resin supplier?

DC

Really I am looking just for person/company which can produce me this details. I think that even with delivery price will be competitive

You might post this request for quote in the RFQ area here on CNC zone. Someone in your area or at least continent, may have this capability.

Best wishes to you!

DC