587,787 active members*
2,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Need help with Cincinnati VMC 1000 - Dead hard drive

Exclamation Need help with Cincinnati VMC 1000 - Dead hard drive

I need help getting either a good image of another VMC 1000 hard drive, or the software. I've got a replacement drive, but I've just got to get it up and running. I'm a network systems administrator, so my computer skill level is high. My CNC skill level however is zero. I'll work on that after the machine is up and running.

I've been in contact with Siemens, and they sent me the disk images for the System and NC Extensions layers for release 3.2.6 CMI VMC software. I have no idea what they are, but I have them.

One thing that I don't have, is the MAI (Management Application Interface) software.

Somebody wouldn't have a hard drive image for my VMC 1000 or this MAI software laying around, would they? (Perferabaly a hard disk image... that would be sweet)

Thank you for your time!

Jay

I just replied to your e-mail with the following, but you hadn't indicated the items leading up to the failure. The BSOD you described is typical of a failed hard drive, but what is potentially more important is what caused the failure. If you don't determine if there was an underlying cause to the failure, you may be faced with another failure soon.

Sounds like the hard drive most likely failed.

I would prefer if you could send me your hard drive and I can see if I can salvage it or any of the data on it for you. Frequently it is simply caused by corrupted data on the hard drive and I am able to salvage the hard drive. If I can't salvage it, I will try to transfer as much of your data and settings to another drive as possible. This may make it a drop in replacement for your machine, or may require you to reload the configuration data and your programs, depending on what I can get off of it.

There are couple other items that could cause the blue screen you described but the hard drive is by far the most likely. If you send the drive to me I will also be able to confirm whether it is a problem or not.

You will also need to try to figure out why the hard drive failed. Although hard drives do sometimes just fail mechanically, from my experience it is very rare on these machines unless they're doing some very heavy interrupted cutting which causes excessive vibration to the drive. The more likely scenarios that I've run into are that the machine power was cut off a hard drive was writing, or the power supply is going bad. in the case of the former I have seen it caused by a power outage, the operator inadvertently shut the main power off before it completed writing, or the machine's internal shutdown timer is set too short. If you suspect the Power supply, I sell drop in replacements for the original, so let me know if you need one.

Hi! maverick, Mine is the other dead hard drive post!