587,460 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

I intend to order a mini mill and CAM software in the next few days. I have basic machining skills, all from cranking handles. My computer skills are adequate, I can create drawings in Auto CAD that machinist, fabricators, and architects have found acceptable. I realize that I’m preaching to the choir on this forum but I’m assuming most of you fellows have been through this decision making process yourselves and will have plenty of good advice.

I have looked at specifications and pricing for Sharp, Haas, Robodrill ( Fanuc ), and Bridgeport .

I’ve heard box ways are superior ( Sharp 2412 ) but can be very expensive to maintain or repair?

I’m used to a 9 x 49 table. The Haas TM-1P has 30” X and 12” Y. The rest are more square. It looks to me like setting up tooling and vises would be easier with the longer X axis or am I a victim of past experience?

Is the 10 tool changer adequate for most situations? Sharp offers more as an option and Robodrill is standard with 14.

Robodrill is short in the Z axis ( 13” ) will this be a serious hindrance in tooling capability?

Haas has a proprietary control system while the rest use Fanuc. Seeing that I’m at the bottom of the learning curve which system is easier to learn and use? Are there other major plusses or minuses associated with either?

Getting files into the machine seems to generate a lot of comment in these discussion groups. Most seem to thing a USB port is the best solution. Can I assume that the machine’s control software will be able to access and use all the information in the flash card, or will its internal memory still cap the accessible file size?

What does Hass mean by spindle orientation?

I have lots of computer power close by. Would feeding the machine with an RSR 232 be the best solution? Can I save a file created or edited on the machine back through the RSR cable to the host computer? ( Help!! GAR )

My big requirement for CAM is also ease of use. Many fellows on the forums like Surfcam. Any opinions?

Is there some material other then metal (plastic, wax, etc.) that I can use to dry run or practice with? I’m sure crashes are like athletic injuries, they all come back to haunt you in old age.

Thanks in advance,

Vern

061226-0852 EST USA

Vern:

See my response on Practical Machinist. Call me if you want.
    Phone number is on www.beta-a2.com at the bottom of any page.

Photo P8 on the Miscellaneous Photos page shows a circular milled hole.

Vern,

I have intricate experience with all of the types of machines you mentioned.
    If you would like my professional advice, contact me directly.