587,189 active members*
3,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Multiple operations in the same cycle

Multiple operations in the same cycle

Hi folks, long time since I've been in!

Anyways, I'm now at a different shop (much much smaller than the previous one) and using Mastercam/Fanuc as opposed to DolphinCADCAM/Acramatic 2100.
    Today I'm playing about with multiple set ups, so far I've got the job I'm working on running on 4 vices using G54-G57 offsets.
    Now I'm wanting to use the Mastercam to have 4 operations running within the same program, the idea would be that each vice would carry out one operation per cycle, then would move to the next vice for the next cycle etc, one completed part would leave the machine each run.
    Can anyone give any tips as to where I should be looking (if it's feasible)? I guess I need to export/import toolpaths into one window?!?

If I was to do it using the Acramatic then I'd adjust the program manually using "H" word fixture offsets.

if im not mistaken you use "P" values instead of the "h" values you were use to with A2100 language. hope this helps.

Don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish but I think what you are looking for is "Nesting" it is found under tool paths.
    Hope that helps!
    All comments made are my opinion!

I assume your doing a different face of the part for each vise. Just create a new WCS and Work Offset for each face and create the toolpaths with that plane active. You'll get a G54 on Vise 1, G55 on Vise 2, G56 on Vise 3 etc...

Just remember WorkOffset 0 is G54 1=G55

PS: Always helps to know what version of Mastercam your using.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Apologies for the lack of clarity, I knew what I meant!

Mike, you've got it, the idea was that each vice would run a separate operation, so in one cycle Vice 1 would do Op1, Vice 2 would do Op2, Vice 3 would do Op3, etc. When the run stopped the part in Vice 1 would move to Vice 2, Vice 2 onto Vice 3 and so on, the part coming off Vice 4 would be complete.

I'm using MasterCAM X4.

I would suggest you create 4 programs with G54 5 6 7 and then use a text editor to paste them all together. If some of the ops use the same tool you may want to do everything the tool can do, and go on to the next tool. This might require extensive editing in a text editor.
    This can get confusing, so be organized, I would suggest marking the vises starting with upper left (G54), like reading a book. In other words use the organization skills we were all taught.

Or just set a different WorkOffset for each toolpath. Then you dont have any editing. Look i the Planes section of your toolpath parameter page.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com