587,405 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > Mori Seiki NV500/a40 (Re-post from wrong forum....sorry)

Mori Seiki NV500/a40 (Re-post from wrong forum....sorry)

PLEASE someone Mori savvy help a poor-ole Mazak disciple with communications/drip feeding to this cantankerous bastard!

Machine: Mori Seiki NV5000/a40
    SN: NV501BB0027
    Date: 3/2002
    Control: MSG-501 (Fanuc 18iMB)
    MAPPS/CAPS Version: Unknown.

The machine has a card reader slot on the front panel as well as an RS232C port. In the rear cabinet there is a bracket containing another RS232C port as well as an Ethernet port. Supposedly the machine has some fancy-schmancy HSSB thingy? It's all Greek to me, but it was my understanding that this was pretty handy for communications. Can anyone tell me how to utilize this HSSB setup? Would it "produce less vacuum" to drip feed from the card reader on the operators panel; if that's possible? I can DL/UL programs to and from the card easily enough; there is just so little memory it almost makes using an offline CAM system impossible.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Everyone's time is money so, if monetary compensation is required, I won't be offended. Thank you for taking the time just to read my plea for help.

Mike

Link to Photobucket album below with pictures of options lists, parameters, control, available manuals if needed.

Mori Seiki NV5000a40 Photos by ProAxisEngineering | Photobucket

Re: Mori Seiki NV500/a40 (Re-post from wrong forum....sorry)

PLEASE!?

Im really rusty, and communications and drip feed was never my strong suit, but I worked for Mori for a long time so I will try and help. Your machine is a mapps 1 or 2 most likely due to the date, the BB in the serial number tells us the machine was made in Feb of 2002. Im not sure if this applies. The rear rs232 and ethernet ports are exclusively for Fanuc, you must drip through the PCMCIA card slot. There may be some settings changes that you need to make on the MAPPS side, but when done you should be able to drip feed in "tape" mode. from a card. The age of the machine makes me question this, on MAPPS 3 and 4+ its not a problem, the option is there. Not much help, but maybe a better tech can chime in with details.

Motionman,
    Thank you for taking the time to help; I'll take any help I can get. This is beginning to sound a little frightening; having read your reply as well as further net research. Jeez I wish I'd never seen this thing; it's like this particular machine is straight out of the Twilight Zone with all the bastardized Mitsubishi components up front, Fanuc components in the back, and nothing working in between.
    Is there a way to find out exactly what version of CRAPPS this machine has? Can that software be upgraded; if that would benefit my situation? Thus far I've found nothing that has led me to believe that drip feeding from the card is an option (on this particular machine anyway), although it'll UL/DL programs without issue; there just isn't enough memory to much. Having every book, manual, schematic, etc. that came with the machine new has been of little to no help; as ya never know which [I]version[I] of CRAPPS this machine TRULY is.
    So, what's a brother gonna have to charge per hour to help me over the phone, Skype, or airplane? Paying up front for your help would be completely understandable if that gets us closer to getting this boat anchor towards earning it's keep around here.

Kind regards,
    Mike.

1st off, you have no Mitsubishi anything on a NV5000, its all Fanuc. Second, those machines kick ass. And yes you can drip feed from a card, since you could even on the previous model sv503. You can upgrade to mapps 3 or even 4 but it requires a entire new mapps panel, since they were switched to XP embedded. You most likely have a mapps 2 on that machine, hence the a or alpha series NV. I don't have the parameter here, but a couple changes, press tape mode and go. Mapps 3 and 4 had a ton of memory inside mapps, we regularly run 50mb programs directly from mapps. Any application guy from DMG Mori should have the info you need.

Underthetire,
    Firstly, I beg to differ on the Mitsubishi components within the system' they are quite positively within the MSG-501 operators pane; will pop the panel back open and take ya a few pictures if you'd care to wager. Secondly, from a mechanical aspect, you couldn't be more correct in your statement eluding to the machines overall build quality, but beyond that; it's EASILY the LEAST productive vertical machining center I've ever owned over the past 26+ years. I do not make this statement lightly, nor in haste of frustration, but an honest statement taking into account our manufacturing niche and TTFFP (Time To First Finished Part) being absolutely key; especially in a tough market place. Point being; this ain't my first rodeo, and it wasn't my intention to offend anyone. I concede as to see how it could and sincerely apologize to any and all who took offense.
    On a side note, if anyone has taken the time to browse through the shared link to my Photobucket album of the machine, it isn't as though I'm just being a cheapskate trying to get by with 12-13 year old, used up, machining centers. This machine came into my possession with 248 actual cut hours on it directly from the original owner who happened to be local to us. It LITERALLY looks as though it was just uncrated and installed new on our shop floor; with the exception of a tiny scuff mark or so just beneath the sliding door of the enclosure. Truly a shame to have a machining center of this quality, arguably unparalleled in it's class, regardless of it's age setting idle the vast majority of the time.
    I've just never experienced this kind of frustration with any other machine tool I've ever owned; seems like everything is a "big secret," an option requiring the prior options, or requires a magic spell in conjunction with a few well timed "tricks" to get anything accomplished. It would just be a relief to have some basic function, that would normally be taken for granted, to happen without chasing down clues to a mystery for weeks on end for something that should be intuitive to those of us having been in the trade for a quarter century. This, I'm afraid, will be my last wild goose chase involving a Mori; next debacle like this and I'll be dumping this joint and returning "home."
    Yes, you could argue the unfairness of judging a brand based on a machine of this vintage.....IF it weren't the case as it stands. All the more reason I can justify it.....basically a NOS item fresh out of the box with plenty of units in the field and the accumulated knowledge that is generated by this process. I absolutely MUST say that the guys down at Ellison Technologies have gone FAR and above the call of duty in their efforts to help me with this machine; incredible customer service (and I've never bought a thing from them) that I can't praise enough. All said and done; ANY machine tool builder should be so fortunate as to have Ellison represent their product, I only wish they could source my particular "brand of choice."
    If anyone's still interested in helping me stamp out this last little demon of the details, in the initial post, I'd greatly appreciate it. on another note; if anyone's interested in a fresh out of the box (NOS...LoL) NV5000, .........holla at me and I'm sure something can be worked out. Heck I'll even take partial (up or down) trades; otherwise......look for it on eBay soon.

Peace,
    Mike.

It may be a mitsubishi display, but thats it. MSG 80X would be mits control. We use the Mapps for quick run set up parts (prototype only here) and they are very fast at set up. Even the Caps works well for quicky stuff. My suggestion would be to get a good app engineer to train you on that control and how those like to be set up. I mean compared to a Mazatrol, the Fanuc/Mapps is lightening quick. You can always go to the setting page and turn off Maps and run it like a regular fanuc.

Or, ideally strip off the CRAPPS/Fanuc in it's entirety, installing Mazatrol..............but I'd settle for simply disposing of CRAPPS to be able to interact directly with the Fanuc. Who am I kidding; gonna dump this boat anchor and go back to the home team.Wonder how bad of a beating I'm gonna take unloading this thing?

Mike.

Really? That mitsubishi mazatrol thing is the most overly complicated piece of garbage ive ever worked on. I'd take a straight mits over the Mits/mazatrol any day. We have mazatrols here from old to new, none of them are easy to do anything with. That machine will smoke any Mazak. Get some help, once you get going on that it will change your mind.

Do you still have it? I'm looking to buy one