587,192 active members*
2,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki FL2 Turret adjust

Hi all,

The center point of my drilling tools in the turret of Mori Seiki FL2 Lathe has a 1.2mm offset in the direction perpendicular to X axis direction. Can anyone give me any clue where I can get instructions for adjusting the position of the center point of the tail stock?

Regards,

Its in the maintenance manual. FL2 is a SL25 BTW. I'd check your headstock and machine level first. Then its just a matter of loosening the bolts that hold the tailstock to the base and knocking it around.

Thanks for the reply!

In fact I do not have the maintenance manual of the machine! I know there should be screws for loosening the head from the base for adjusting the angle! but I don't know which screw to loosen! Is it the M8 screws under the cover infront or the huge hegs screw along with the socket head screw around it on top? I have attached photos of the turret! Can you please mark the screw to be loosened for adjustment on the photo if you are sure about it!

Thanks alot,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Well that's not a tailstock is it. Kinda helps if you know what your asking for,

Yeah sorry! I meant the turret! Can you help with this one? Is the problem clear?

you need to re-align the two halves of the curvic coupling. pull off the turret, remove the dowels and unbolt the curvic coupling from both turret and turret-base. get some new dowels and re-assemble the curvic coupling halves and your alignment will be much better.

Thanks fordav,

But, I didn't really get you! Do you think I can do it with out further instructions?
    I don't know where to start!

power the machine off and pull off the turret (remove the central cover and bolts). After that you'll see more and you'll figure it out..... it's not a difficult job. I'm sure if you search here on these forums (or google!) for 'align turret' or 'align curvic coupling' you will find more info on how to do it. It's basically 2 rings that look like the top of a castle and they mesh together when the turret indexes. One is bolted to the inside of the turret and the other is bolted onto the turret body. They are misaligned so your turret is out of center. All you need to do is unbolt both of the curvic coupling rings, re-align them using new dowels and tighten the bolts and it will be very close. to make fine adjustments, with the bolts just tightened a bit, put the turret back together then run a dial indicator along the tool pocket in the turret from one end to the other. The indicator should not move. If it does gently tap the turret into position so the movement on the indicator is 0. Now remove the turret and tighten the bolts to the correct torque based on the bolt specification/diameter. For a 12mm high tensile cap head bolt it's around 76nm, IIRC.

Thanks for the explanation,

I'll get dirty with it and figure it out!

Best,

Shouldn't need to remove the turret unless its WAAAY out. Outer ring of cap screws under cover (m8 head I think), remove taper pins if they are still there, and smack in to position. It helps to index the turret between smacks. Old machines had the bolts and taper pins behind the turret, so those had to come off. Tool holder slot should be parallel to the X axis, .001" or better.

ah. I thought the FL was older. Our SL's are from early to mid 90's and need to have the turret removed to fix the CC alignment

Thanks everybody,

I already opened the 4 M8 screw in front! But couldn't move the head! I can see 2 holes near the m5 screw holes which hold the cover in front! Are those pins? should I remove them before smacking the turret to the right place?

cheers